Broken Promises: The Prologue

Author's Note;

This is a very short prologue to the Broken Promises series. I couldn't add it to the first book, so I decided to make a whole seperate section for it. Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the dark, blurred scene around them, the high pitched voice laughed. The sound reverberated in her ears, loud and maniacal, overpowering the soft ruffling of leaves on the ground. She was on her knees above the cold, wet grass, panting for breath, every inch of her body shaking with the pain that had consumed her moments ago. He raised his wand once again now, hesitating for a moment only to gaze at the broken girl in front of him, considering her. And then a horrible, twisted, bone-chilling, smile spread across his thin-lipped mouth, and he whispered words too quiet for her to hear.

And then it was back.

The excruciating pain of the Cruciatus Curse had taken her yet again for its own. She screamed as her body was lifted in mid air, invisible white-hot knives stabbing into every inch of her flesh, her mind blank. She couldn't tell where she was or how long she was under; but she was burning, and cutting, and being sliced open, and she didn't know how long it would take until her body was chopped up into burnt, crisp ashes.

And then it was gone.

But then again, she knew it would return.

"You are foolish." He breathed, walking forward to come face to face with her, making sure he would be the last thing she would see before she was gone. But she wouldn't let that happen, she would not die at his feet, begging for mercy. Her wand was a long way away from her, but she didn't need it to do this. It took every last ounce of strength in her body to raise her head. And then at last, she stared into the wild, gleaming eyes of her soon-to-be killer.

"I will never." She said defiantly, the ghost of a humorless grin flitting across her face. The moment was seconds away. She knew it. They both knew it. And still, she couldn't bring herself to regret what had brought her here. She loved him too much, and she loved what she had inside of her. And she was wrong, and the man responsible for her being here, was right. He was right.. Grinning, she remembered very quickly that Sirius Black was usually right. But now, it was much too late for them. She and her tiny companion were about to leave, and she prayed that they would all understand in time.

"Very well then." He whispered venomously.

Time to die, she thought to herself.

And his wand was raised again.