Chapter 18 | Back to the Police Station

We got out of the car and my father followed me as I ran inside. I sprinted right up to the main desk.

"I need to see Officer Pete right away! Please it's very urgent!"

Officer Peggy was on the phone but looked over at me. She smiled when she saw me but then raised a finger at me so I would know to wait.

My father caught up to me and stood next to me at the counter.

"Please!" I said. "This really can't wait!"

"I'm sorry I'm going to have to call you back. Alright, thank you."

She hung up the phone.

"Can you please ask Officer Pete to come out to the front of the station? I have something I need to show him! Please Officer Peggy! I finally have proof so the guy behind the bank robbery can be arrested."

"But you want him to go outside?"

"Yes please. Just right in front of the station."

"Alright sweetie I'll send him out."

"Thank you! Oh, tell him to bring something to record video."

I turned and ran for the door.

"Father I need your help!"

He turned around and followed me out.

"Quick! Help me make a snowman as fast as you can."

"Okay son."

He got down on his knees and started making a big snowball. Then he rolled it forward until he had one big enough for the base. I finished a smaller one a few seconds later and carried it over to him. I stuck it on top of his big snowball. Then he rolled the last one for the head while I picked up some pine needles. As I was pushing them into the snowman head to make a face Officer Pete came outside.

"Peggy said you had something to show me. Just what are you doing young man? I have very important work to do. You can't just pull be away from it to..."

"I know! Please just trust me. You're going to want to see this. Do you have a video camera?"

"I have my phone," Officer Pete said.

"Great! Please start recording me."

"Young man I..."

That's when my father interrupted Officer Pete.

"Officer, please. Trust us. We're not here to waste your time."

Officer Pete looked at my father for a few seconds and then sighed and pulled out his phone. He tapped on it a few times and then pointed it at me.

"Is it recording?" I asked.

"Yes it's recording," Officer Pete said.

I leaned forward and placed the top hat on top of the snowman's head. The snowman looked around and then looked down at me. Then he smiled.

"See? I told you!"

I spun and looked at Officer Pete.

"And my father told you too! We were telling the truth. I know it's unbelievable but here is your proof Officer Pete. The man who owns Waldo's Magic Shop was behind the bank robbery. He stole snowmen from our neighborhood and made a snowman army. He made them rob the bank. You have to admit all of the evidence points to it."

I waited for Officer Pete to respond but he was speechless.

"The huge puddles inside the bank. The half melted snowmen outside. So? Can you arrest him now?"

Officer Pete just kept staring at the snowman who was smiling and watching me talk.

"Officer Pete!"

"What? Yeah. I'm sorry. Yes. I believe I have seen enough."

"Great! I have his license plate number. He's already left town but I'm sure you and your fellow officers can find him!"