the one with meredith's blessing

Start from the beginning

"Lumos," I said, holding up my wand. Harry and Cedric did the same. We walked for some time. I thought of using a body-binding curse on Cedric right away so he didn't reach the Cup. But Harry was here and then I'd have to explain everything to him. I don't have the time.

"Good luck, Ced," I said after about silently walking for fifty yards. He nodded.

"See you," Harry said. He went left. Harry and I went right.

The darkness was consuming, and I hated the dark. Even if things were normal, I'd be scared of the dark. No one knows what's in there. But, my parents loved the Dark. Why?

"Are you okay?" Harry asked. I shook my head no. And then I held his hand.

"Hold my hand for a while, please?"

He tightened his grip on mine. We reached another fork. Time to part.

I reluctantly left his hand and faced him.

"Good luck, Harry," I said. He nodded. "Tonight's going to be a long night."

I kissed his cheek and walked right. He walked left.

I paused at another turning and looked around.

No one in plain sight.

So, I went over my plan. Next time I meet Cedric, if I do, I'd full body bind him and send up sparks. Krum is under Imperius curse, so I just kind of have to beat his Crucio and Stupefy him. Then I'll send up sparks for him and Fleur.

So Harry and I will remain.

But if I don't meet Cedric around again. . .

That opts for Plan B. I'd have to reach the Cup first, wait for Harry and take him with me. But I don't know where the cup is. I can't risk Cedric coming with us. If he dies. . .

I shook my head as I started walking again. Nothing was around so far but the aloneness was harrowing. I raised my wand higher as the light illuminated the surface. I kept looking behind me. The old feeling that I was being watched was upon me. The maze was growing darker with every passing minute as the sky overhead deepened to navy. I reached a second fork.

"Point Me," I whispered to my wand, holding it flat in my palm. The wand spun around once and pointed toward my right, into solid hedge. That way was north, and I knew that I needed to go northwest for the center of the maze. The best I could do was to take the left fork and go right again as soon as possible. The path ahead was empty too, and when I reached a right turn and took it, I again found my way unblocked. I didn't know why, but the lack of obstacles was unnerving me. Surely I should have met something by now? It felt as though the maze were luring him into a false sense of security. And then-

"Hey, missed me?"

I gulped as the Slytherin version of me approached. I nearly jumped out of my skin. Seriously? Boggarts? Why?

It's just a boggart.

"Not really."

I felt startling brave facing myself again. I didn't feel nervous like the first time. Somewhere in this maze now, Harry is somewhere in the maze right now fighting off his Boggart. And he didn't feel immensely scared the next time he faced a Dementor. Maybe the fear wears off when you've faced it once already.

I raised my wand. "Ridi-"

"Wait," the Boggart laughed and shrill mocking tone. "You haven't faced all if me yet."

"What?"

And then I understood what. As I looked more closely, I realized, that some of her features weren't like me at all. She was a little taller, cheekbones a little sharper, posture a little more arrogant. And she was older. Nineteen, maybe. And she brandished a Dark Mark.