[4] clear as day

conrad's POV

Maya wasn't dumb.

I already knew this. She had perfect grades and was on the honor roll, of course she wasn't dumb. But people could be brilliant on paper and have no idea what to do when it came to the fucked-up world we lived in, and the fucked-up people who inhabited it. Most of the time, it was one or the other.

Maya had it both ways.

It should've been obvious that I was playing a losing game as we entered school, exchanging words. I wasn't thinking straight. I could laugh and smile all I wanted, but it didn't stop the nagging reminders from tearing through my brain. Smiles and laughter put up a convincing front, but like Cinderella's ball — its time eventually ran out.

After a dismal first period, I was surprised to find Maya leaning against the wall opposite my door, looking at me with a raised eyebrow. "Do you have any tests or presentations today?"

"No." Two weeks into junior year, I would certainly hope that we didn't have any tests yet.

"Great, then let's go." She yanked my hand, suddenly pulling me towards the school exit.

"Wait, what? What are you doing?" I asked her, not exactly following, but not exactly resisting either.

"You and I both need a day off."

"Already? We're not even a month into school." I told her, the corners of my lips twitching.

"Since when do you give a shit?" She turned around to retort, an equally large smile on her face.

"You got me there. Lead the way."

* * *

We didn't do anything stupid.

We just went to the local park, laid down, and stared up at the sky. It felt good, too good. I could already visualize my teacher's lingering stares when I returned the next day. But right now — it felt worth it.

"My mom's not going to be very happy with me." I muttered.

Maya was silent for a few moments. "To be honest, I kind of forgot about her. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought us here — "

"Don't," I interrupted her, shaking my head. "It doesn't matter. She's never happy with me."

"Yes it does." She said softly. "She's your mother — of course it matters. At least a bit."

"Maybe. But it's not like anything I do pleases her anyway, so it doesn't matter if I'm bad or good."

"Still," She murmured. "The bridge between you isn't broken. Maybe there are a few cracks, but that doesn't mean you can't repair them."

As she spoke, a look came upon her face that made my heart sink. It was more than pity for me, it was pity for her too.

"Maya." I watched her carefully.

"Yeah?" She said weakly.

"Did it happen again?"

Silence. "Yes."

"What the fuck?" I sat up, pulling her with me. Putting my hands on her shoulders, I looked her dead in the eye. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the rest of the day either." She confessed, her eyes stretching as wide as they could. "This was as much for me as it was for you."

It was the remnants of her defense mechanism shining through. The one that told her she had no one to depend on, that she had to it all by herself. That no one would listen, that no one would even try.

The one that I thought had been conquered, but now —

I glared at her. "This friendship thing goes both ways. If I can lean on you, then you can lean on me too."

"I know." She whispered.

"So why are you fighting it?"

"I'm not."

"You could've fooled me."

I let that sink in. I knew it must've hurt, but I couldn't smile and laugh it off without an explanation. Minutes passed between us, and I received nothing.

"I'm sorry."

Sorry didn't cut it. Answers did. But if one thing was clear — I wasn't going to get them today.

That, was clear as day.

"It's okay." I wrapped my arms around her in a hug, my voice desperately trying to avoid falling flat. "Just — let me know, okay? You don't have to go through this alone anymore."

She nodded. "Okay."

Her eyes drifted off to the clouds, a faint smile on her face. Smiling at what? I couldn't say.

It was incredible, the more you knew someone, the more of an enigma they became.

* * *

Hello everyone,

I know that I've been away from quite some time, so first I'd like to say — welcome back to Maya and Conrad! I've missed them just as much as I've missed you.

For the most part, I've just been enjoying my time off during summer break, but also some things have come up in my personal life, and I felt that I wasn't in the best state for writing. But now I'm fine and I'm back :).

This is a bit of an iffy chapter for me. Based on last chapter (if you remember that long ago) what do you think of their relationship so far? I might do some revising later on in the story.

I've missed you all so much and I'm glad that I'm back to continue writing this story, and I apologize for putting it on hold for so long.

Love you all and thank you for being so patient with me.

Xoxo,
Twyla