My Mother's Tumble

I sat in my room, fuming. My father had no right to lie to my mother continuously, to have a goddamn mistress. I might've only been a child, but my morality was already stronger than his. It made me furious. 

   All I had wanted my whole life was to have a happy family, you know, the ones you see in all the movies. The family where the mother stayed home to take care of the child and the father would come home from work with a bouquet of flowers and kiss his wife on the cheek. That was all I wanted. Did I ever actually get that? No. All I got was a mentally ill mother and a cheating, lying father. It wasn't fair at all. Of course, life isn't fair. But mine just seemed unusually cruel to me. 

   I heard crying from my mother's room. I quickly got out of bed to help her. My mother and I had always been closer than my father and I. After all, she was the one who had taken care of me during all of the times my father hadn't. I tip-toed into her room, careful not to startle her. 

   When i came inside of her room, she was lying in a bed full of crumpled tissues and despair. I walked up to her bed side and put my hand on her shoulder. She didn't look up. 

"Mom," I whispered, "are you going to be okay?" 

   It took her a few minutes, but eventually she looked up at me. Tears stained her tired, beautiful face. My mother was gorgeous. I didn't understand what she had done to be thrown into such an awful life. "Diana," her voice was barely audible, "Hi, darling. Yes, I think...I think I'll be okay." 

   "You don't look okay right now, Mom. I'm worried." 

   She ran her fingers through my hair and looked me in the eyes. "Diana, it's not your job to be worried about me. I'm your mother, you shouldn't have to worry about me." 

   What a cruel and unlucky life we both had. She was reduced to a pile of tears on her bed, and the only person worried enough to comfort her was her child. "Mom, I just...I guess I shouldn't have told you. I didn't know you would be like this. I thought you must've had some kind of an idea." 

   "I did, Diana. I knew it, but I didn't want to believe it. You did everything right telling me what you witnessed. I'm sorry you have to go through all of this. I wish you didn't. I so, so wish you didn't." 

   After she finished talking to me, she turned her left cheek slightly towards me. Underneath her eye was a badly covered up bruise. I was taken aback. Colors of purple, blue and pink were swirling around my mother's eye. I had always known my father was an awful person, but I had never known he was abusive to her. I knew he had touched me in ways I wasn't comfortable with and had hurt me, I just never imagined he would've done the same to my mother. 

   "Mom," I got panicked, "your eye. He hurt you, didn't he? After I told you about him, he hurt you. That bastard!" 

   "Diana, it's okay. Really. I deserved it." 

   Suddenly, I remembered why I wanted to talk to my mother. I had an inkling of an idea, and she needed my help. She wanted to leave my father, but she wasn't strong enough to do it on her own. But I was strong. I was strong, smart, manipulative and heartless. I didn't care about hurting him. I didn't care about what happened to him. I wouldn't have cried if he died, I wouldn't have even cared. 

   "Mom," I said. She had begun to cry softly again. "We're going to make sure he never, ever touches you again," I stood up, walked out of the room and beckoned her. "Come here." 

   She slowly got out of bed and walked towards me. I was by the stairs. "Look, Mom. Listen to me," I pulled her closer to me. "You're going to fall down the stairs." 

   "What? Diana, what are you talking about? What do you mean?" 

   I grabbed her and pulled her closer to me. "I know what Dad does to you. I sure as hell know what he does to me. He can't do this anymore, and you aren't strong enough to leave him." 

   She looked panicked. "Diana, I don't wasn't to leave him. I love him." 

   "You are so engrossed in this abusive relationship. It's basically Stockholm Syndrome. You need an out. I'm going to give you an out." 

   Without listening to her, I pushed her. She screamed and flew down the stairs. She hit the corned of the banister and was out cold. I knew who I was going to blame for this. I was ready for him to be gone. 

I picked up the phone and dialed 9-1-1. 

"Hello? Yes, officer. This is Diana Ladris. My father hits my mother and just pushed her down a flight of stairs. She's not responding. I'm scared." 

   And with that, I hung up the phone and smirked.