Coming Home

Lydia stepped out of the bank after the end of her shift, keys jingling in her hand and heels clicking against the ground. The sun was shining in the late afternoon sky as she got into her car and headed home. She blared the Top 40 station on the radio to distract her from the worry she faced at her destination. Her parents had never been truly happy at any point in her life, but lately, it seemed to just get worse. Their arguments bled through all rooms of the house and often ended up involving her. Lydia did her best to stay out of it and leave the arguing to the two of them, but when you're the one that everyone grows to count on, it's hard not to be involved at all.

The Martins were always the ones everyone seemed to envy. Allen Martin gained an administrative position in the bank where he eventually got his daughter her job. The family lived rather well, always working to keep their image up. But Allen had a hold on Lydia's life, treating her as if she owed him everything for ensuring her employment. She was grateful for her job and didn't want anyone to get her wrong for how she felt, but she was reaching a point where she couldn't handle living in his shadow anymore. She wanted more for her life, she just didn't know what that could be yet.

Before Lydia knew it, she was coming up on her house. She pulled into her garage and went inside, meeting Natalie in the kitchen. "Hey, Mom. How's your day been?" Lydia said, hanging her keys by the door. Natalie pulled on a smile, standing up to hug her daughter. "Oh, it's been a day, sweetheart. How's the bank?" Lydia rolled her eyes. "Full of money and rich people, same as ever." Natalie chuckled.

Lydia glanced around the house. "Where's Dad?" Natalie sighed, sitting back down at the bar. "On his way home, I think. He had a meeting today, and from what he told me, it didn't exactly go well." Lydia plopped down next to her mother. "Fantastic. Well, why don't I start on dinner? Lasagna always seems to cheer him up. You can go upstairs and work on your project. After all, that lace won't sew itself." Natalie giggled. "Thanks, honey. I'm hoping this dress will be the one." Lydia hugged her mother before she went to her sewing room. "You'll get your own shop, I know it."

Natalie had been working on making wedding dresses for the past year or so. It started after she attended a fashion show with the wife of her husband's boss. What had only been an attempt to inch his way closer to a promotion had resulted in a newfound passion for Natalie. Lydia admired her mother's eye for lovely detail. She hoped that one day, she would find a passion of her own that she could turn into a career. All she wanted was a job she was truly happy doing, like her mother and her best friend, Stiles.

Lydia kicked her black pumps onto the mat and reached for an apron before stepping through the kitchen to gather ingredients for her homemade lasagna. She had plenty of stress in her life, but cooking always seemed to make it disappear. After collecting what she needed, she set her favorite playlist to sing to while she prepared dinner.

Lydia didn't know what brought her more joy - cooking or singing. In high school, she was 'that girl' who always nailed her performances, whether it was in the choir, a talent show, or leading the national anthem before each season's first and final lacrosse games. Everyone at Beacon Hills High told her she belonged in Hollywood, working on an album. No one understood what the hold up was, since she already lived in California. She'd heard it after every single performance, but she just didn't feel it. Lydia didn't think she had what it took to be full-time vocalist. Concerts were different than homecoming games and first place in a talent show was nothing like a record deal. It never stopped her completely, though. She still sang every chance she got.

While she belted out the line of a chorus, the sound of the door slamming interrupted her. She abruptly turned to see her father step into the kitchen. "H-hey, Dad. How was the meeting?" He didn't even seem to hear her, going straight for her phone to pause the song. "What have I told you about blasting this crap throughout the house?" He spat at her.

Here we go again.