As Tyler swung open the front door, his mother greeted him. "Hey, honey. How was swim practice?"

"Great," he lied. His mom replied, "That's nice, honey. You stayed a little later than we expected but dinner's down here if you're ready."

Tyler smiled at his mom. "Thanks, mom. I'm not hungry though, he said as he walked up the stairs. She really was trying and Tyler felt bad because he couldn't explain to anyone why he was usually mopey and depressed.

He was too afraid of being considered a freak to get help. He wanted so desperately to be normal, to feel normal. So he kept everything pent up inside and hoped to god nothing escaped. He let a little something escape when he told Josh why he ran.

His thoughts were interrupted when he felt a vibration in his pocket. He slid his fingers into his back pocket and pulled out his phone.

unknown number: hey is this ty ?

tyler: yes hi

tyler: is this josh or is this some kind of a joke.?

josh: no, no it's me josh

josh: hey tyguy :-)

tyler: tyguy.? seriously..?

josh: no ! it's cute i like it

josh: like you

Tyler was speechless as he looked down at his phone. He couldn't believe that someone actually found him cute.

tyler: thank

josh: it took me three minutes to work up enough courage to call you cute

josh: and all i get is 'thank' ???

tyler: thanks cutie

josh: i want to know you, tyler

josh: it pains me to not know who you are

tyler: i know this is sudden but where do you live ..?

tyler: i'm coming over

Tyler reminded himself to breathe in and out. He's going to think you're a freak, asking him where he lives. You should have just kept running. 'No,' he thought, 'this is going to work out. I think he likes me, too. Read the text messages, see for yourself.' Just remember what happens when you let down your walls, Tyler.

Tyler's hand crept up to his forehead and he held his fingers there for a second to try and alleviate his sudden headache. He shook his head and stood up.

Tyler slid his shoes on and walked downstairs. "Hey, mom. Do you mind if I take the car for a bit?" His mom replied, "Sure, honey. Where are you going?"

He smiled at her as he palmed the keys in his hand. "I'm just going to a friends house for a bit. I'll be back." She nodded and hugged him as he went out the door.

Tyler looked on his phone for the address and sighed in relief when he realized the address was only down the street.

He drummed his fingers along to the beat of the song that was playing on his car radio. He scanned the neighborhood for Josh's house and pulled up to it when he saw it.

He looked at the front of the house that read 210 and anxiously knocked on the door. He shook his head quickly before Josh opened the door.

Tyler was greeted by the older boy's pink hair and his halfhearted smile. "Hey, Ty," he said as he ushered Tyler inside. He looked towards the back of Josh's house to see what looked like Josh's parents fighting. "Hey, uh, do your parents know I'm here, or?"

Josh replied, "Honestly, I don't think they care anymore." Tyler felt bad for the other boy. "I'm sorry I asked, J. Just show me to your room."

The pink haired boy led Tyler up the stairs and opened his door to reveal a messy room with a bed and a drum kit in the corner. It wasn't messy to the point where it was disgusting, though. Tyler found it to be homely and comforting. "Yeah, sorry it's a mess. I've been a mess lately," he said as he chuckled lightly.

Tyler sat on Josh's bed and crossed his legs. "It's okay, Josh. My room's a mess too. Besides, I find it comforting, I dunno."

Josh laid on his back and looked up at the ceiling fan as it spun slowly. "So tell me about you, Ty." Tyler replied, "Ok. What do you wanna know?"

"Give me something to go on. Anything." Tyler smiled, "Okay. My name is Tyler Robert Joseph, I play the piano, ukulele, and a little bit of bass, I suck at drawing, I think I'm a good swimmer but I don't like swimming, I like to tell myself that I'm tough but I'm just a big baby boy who cried watching Grey's Anatomy, I write music sometimes, and, uh, I think that's it probably."

"Robert," Josh said as he laughed. "Hey don't blame me, blame my parents," the other boy replied.

"Speaking of parents," Tyler said, "do you, uh, wanna talk about that? I just want you to know that I'm here for you and all, J."

"They're always fighting, Ty," he choked out. "Always. I have siblings, you know? Three of 'em. It's not fair to us, it's not fair to them. It's just not fair, Tyler."

Tyler sighed gently. "It's okay, Josh. Everybody cries. Just let go for once, J." The older boy rolled over onto his stomach.

"I know we just met today, and I know we're moving really quickly. Is- is this okay, J," he asked as he rubbed circles into the other boy's back.

"Yeah," he sniffled, "thanks for being there for one day more than my parents have been in a long, long time." Tyler replied, "It's no big deal, J."

"And Ty?" He replied, "Yeah, J?"

"Why don't you like swimming," he asked.

Tyler answered, "The boredom is the reason I started swimming. It's also the reason I started sinking."