Chapter 3: On The Run

Rosso proceeded down the large hall that lead to the meeting room. This New York City skyscraper had many such halls and rooms, including more than a few secret ones. Two agencies made use of these secret rooms–the CIA and L'Ordine. Rosso's first meeting was with L'Ordine and he arrived early, taking a side entrance where they had complete control over the surveillance cameras.

The meeting room was barred with two thick metal doors unlocked only by the correct combination of a biometric scanner and keypad. After the biometric signature passed, Rosso entered the four digit code. It wasn't the code that mattered, but the energy sensors beneath the keys, which registered that he had Karashingan powers and promptly unlocked the door.

Izo Inahka, the District Commander of Asia and Rosso's half brother, sat at the head of the table. "Good of you to join me, brother," he said, not trying to hide his disdain. As of yet, they were the only two in the room.

"Let's not quarrel," Rosso retorted. "This is about the cause. Something that is far greater than us and our measly troubles."

Soon, two more Karashingan agents arrived. Jacque Chaussure, District Commander of Western Europe, and Sophia Katharós, District Commander of Eastern Europe. Rosso wasn't originally from the United States, but in his years stationed there he was made the unofficial authority for the region. This was a relatively small gathering, as there were many other regional commanders, but Izo had called these together specifically.

After everyone was seated, Izo began. "The Detective Program was a failure," he said, eyeing Rosso. "We lost the American detective, Leor, and Titus Musibet is pushing the limits of our unspoken accords. As a result, Karashingan City has ordered his capture."

"And how do you and the City expect to succeed where the program failed?" Sophia asked. "Titus has set his headquarters in Sibera. It's reportedly well guarded and the weather is treacherous."

"That is precisely why we've decided to task you with the mission, Sophia," Izo smiled. "Your agents are far more experienced with the territory. You may also borrow whoever you like from the other regions, as you see fit."

Sophia shook her head, "And if the ancient power is awakened? What then?"

"This is a dangerous mission," Rosso agreed. "I think it should wait for a little longer until we learn more about Jake's abilities."

"You want us to rely on a teenager?" Izo scoffed. "No. His abilities are unusual, but we haven't found a successor for Lucio in centuries. It's doubtful that such a Karashingan would choose a boy."

"In the Detective Program, we found talent in the most unexpected places," Jacque remarked. "So Jake may be the successor, I won't discount that. But we don't know for sure, and Titus is primed to act. You know this, Rosso. We all do. We must act fast."

"The Dark Karashingan is already after Jake," Rosso said. "Of that I have no doubt. If we don't utilize him, they will. There's more to this than Titus."

"And Aedus is plenty capable of protecting him," Izo assured his brother. "We'll take one thing at a time. Jake can wait. Titus will not."

"And the ancient power?" Sophia repeated. "Will it wait?"

"Titus cannot be so ignorant to try and awaken it," Izo said. "He would be making his own grave."

Jacque touched the table in front of him and a screen came to life. He swiped through a few pages of documents and then turned to Rose. "I'll offer Rose and Blake for the mission."

"Very well," Sophia said. "Cніг will be their guide."

Izo looked pleased. "You have your strike team. Now, Rosso, what will you do with your boy?"