Chapter 21 : Mr. Efficient

Start from the beginning

''Then I suggest you start talking, Braden,'' my dad says in a voice that leaves no space to objectify.

I look at Braden expectantly. I won't speak for him so I just wait for him to answer the question. My parents deserve to know the truth.

''That woman ... Victoria, she's my ex-girlfriend.'' He shakes his head, more to himself than anyone else. ''We ended things almost three years ago and we haven't stayed in touch ever since. In fact, we ended everything, because she ran away with her lover, who in fact was my best friend.'' He clears his throat and I know he's uncomfortable revealing this to everyone.

But he stands proud, speaks loud and clear and looks everyone in the eyes. I wrap my hand around his and squeeze his hand, merely showing him that I'm here and that it's okay to open up to these people. They're his family, too, after all.

''She's back now, as everyone already saw. I don't know what she wants and flatly, I don't even care.''

My dad doesn't look fully convinced. ''And the child?'' he prompts.

Braden sighs and his hand slips from mine as he puts his palms on his face, rubbing it and then brushing his hair back, a clear show of distress. ''I don't know,'' he admits quietly, his voice low and unsure. ''It might be a possibility it's mine, but she doesn't have any proof. I'll do a paternity test, but until then ...'' He doesn't finish the sentence. He doesn't have to. We all know what he wanted to tell us.

He might have a child with his ex-girlfriend, who is also a model, and a woman who almost became his wife, while his current girlfriend is pregnant.

A fucked up, completely twisted situation. And if this is fate ... it's a really funny how it works.

My mum's rubbing my dad's arm and he's just staring at Braden, unblinkingly. It makes me step closer to him, a subconscious move to protect him. Braden wraps his arm around me, pulls me to his side and drops a kiss on my head. My eyes close at the sweet touch.

''I won't leave her. No matter what happens, no matter what those tests show, I won't leave Rory.'' Braden says this to my dad, but I sense he's looking at me. I return his gaze, his intense eyes staring right at me, making my stomach do a somersault.

I never believed in a love this big. I believe in love, sure, I saw it happen all around me to everyone and even I was living under impression that I was in love, but now that I think about it ... what I felt for Charles or anyone else wasn't even close to what I feel for Braden. And what I have with Braden ... I can't even put it in words.

I never knew that love could be this big, feel this way. I never believed that love like this existed. But now? It's like a fairytale you never want to stop reading.

''This is some heavy burden you're carrying, Braden,'' my dad speaks again, breaking our gaze.

Braden stands up straighter, looking my dad straight in the eyes and nods. ''I know, sir.''

I barely hold back the look, pure of disbelief and a bubble of laughter in my throat. When did I ever hear Braden calling someone sir? It was always the other way around and hearing it from his lips seems ... weird.

But the respect he holds for my father – it makes me fall in love with him even more if that's even possible.

Braden and my dad seem to have a stare down, none of them willing to break their gazes. I sigh at all the testosterone in the room. It makes my skin itch from the tension.

''Okay, can we move on from this topic? I'm really hungry,'' I say loudly to get both of their attention. And it's not even a lie. That snake interrupted our lunch and I'm starving.