Chapter 22: The Thaw, Part 2

"COME ON," DERRAIN urged, jittering impatiently by the door

"COME ON," DERRAIN urged, jittering impatiently by the door. "Hurry up."

"Sorry." Mhysra tumbled out of her dormitory, tying her curls back. "I needed to change. It's too muddy to fly in fawn breeches." She eyed Derrain's pointedly, but he shrugged.

"I'll flirt with the laundry maids later and they'll work their magic for me."

Mhysra shook her head. "You're incorrigible." But she didn't waste her breath; Derrain was charming and knew it. Unfortunately it was a skill that worked on both sexes, which was how he'd gained Lieutenant Stirla's permission to fly outside of lessons – as long as an experienced flyer kept him company. So far Dhori and Mhysra had been the only first-years granted that privilege, but most didn't gain permission until their third year. Trust Derrain to outdo them all.

"I'm also lovely, cuddly and perfect for taking home to mother," he promised, holding the door for her, but only so he could urge her to hurry.

"Not my mother. She knows you."

"Please don't take me home to your mother. Or your aunt," he added, shuddering. "One Wrentherin in my life is as much as I can handle at once."

She patted his cheek. "So wise so young."

The eyries were quiet when they entered. Most would still be making their way back from Maegla's Hall after the Starday service, though Captain Fredkhen and Lieutenant Hlen were checking their students' miryhls. Mhysra raised her eyebrows at Derrain, then hurried to fetch Cumulo's tack and prise him away from his lounging.

"Too early," Cumulo grumbled, when she pulled his head down and slid his bridle over his beak. "Come back when the sun's gone."

"It's going to rain later," she warned, amused by how quickly his moods changed. It had only been a half-moon since they'd flown for the first time in months. Mere days ago he had purred happily whenever she approached, no matter what the time of day. "Wouldn't you rather fly when it's warm?"

He opened an eye, sighed and pulled his wings in. "You win. Where are we going?"

"Derry's got permission to fly with us, so we're going to see the lake."

"I've seen it," he muttered, while she settled his saddle into place and tightened the girths. "It's icy."

"It might have melted by now," she coaxed, smiling as Hurricane lifted a marbled wing so that she could walk around her miryhl. "Thank you."

He winked, stretched out his neck and returned to lazing. Cumulo watched him with a beady-eye. "The things I do for you and your friends. You'd best be keeping notes."

"Reams," she promised. "Is all well?"

He shook himself and stretched his wings. "Good enough," he grunted. "I suppose we have to go now?"