Wild.

"Well, we certainly know how to entertain ourselves," He tapped the empty bottle of red wine we had finished.

I lifted my legs, resting my feet on the edge of the balcony railing and tipped my seat back. "You should know by now, we always have a good time."

"If we didn't just clear that bottle out, I would have a cheers to that," He smiled. "I'm glad that we reconnected again. It's been so long."

"I know," I agreed. "Why didn't you ever reach out during these past three years?"

He let out a sigh, one that was seemed as if it were on the edge of some great revelation. "To be complete honest, I was scared. Absolutely terrified."

"About what?" I inquired.

"I was afraid to face you. Even though we left things on good terms at the coffee shop, it still felt as if things were extremely fragile between us and I wasn't sure what to say or how to act around you. I didn't want to upset you more than I already had."

The look of sincerity on his face proved how mature he had become. He put my feelings before his instead of acting out of impulse and putting me in an uncomfortable situation. For him to freely express his thoughts must be the result of deep self-reflection on his part because the Nate I knew made no admittance to his mistakes.

We were both victims of our faults, using them as strengths instead of seeing them as weaknesses to improve upon. But now that we've allowed ourselves time to grow separately, we clearly saw the mistakes we've each made.

"Look at you with your big boy pants on," I teased him, to which he chuckled shyly in response. "It killed me a little bit inside that we never saw each other for such a long time, but I also know it was for the best. I too felt we needed a bit of a breather to get our shit together."

"And look at us now! Still getting our shit together but we're trying. At least I am. You have your life a bit more put together than I do," He threw on a goofy grin.

"I know I tease you more often than I should," I bit my lip before continuing, "But you should be really proud of your accomplishments Nate. Truly, you've done an outstanding job as owner and EIC of Forward. The amount of work you've put into this retreat says enough about how far your work ethic has gone."

Nate whistled loudly. "I only want to talk to you after a bottle of wine."

I threw my head back and laughed at him.

"Where has this Haley been hiding? She needs to come out and play more often," Nate continued on.

"You better soak it all in because come tomorrow, I can't promise she'll still be here," I tittered.

"Ah," He exhaled, also tipping his seat back and resting his feet against the ledge. "Thanks Haley. It means the world to me that you're still my number one fan."

"Since day one," I held a finger up at him. "And you better not forget it the next time you win an EPAA award. I want a dedication in your acceptance speech."

"Done and done," He winked.

We spent the next ten minutes in comfortable silence, allowing the rustling of the palm trees in the wind and the crashing of the waves to ease our minds. Things were simple when it was just us. No one to start initiate drama, speculate gossip, or sway us to feel a certain way about each other. We were two souls with a unique relationship we couldn't start with anyone else. Why did we need others to define what we were when we knew that we were special to each other? At the end of the day, what we thought of ourselves was what truly mattered.

More Issues In Aruba | ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें