13 Bad Couples

It's almost Halloween and I think Zosia is ready to hide in the shadows right now.

She climbs off of my lap and stands before her friend. "You-I don't even know what to call you."

"How about a lost friend?"

"Janet--."

The girl points to me. "You said you wouldn't go back. I warned you that he'd do nothing but hurt you. He's Nico Reed."

"I know who he is. And I really fucking like him."

"So did I!"

That shuts Zo up. She looks between the two of us. I'll admit to anyone that I've slept with tons of girls, but I'm pretty sure I'd remember sleeping with Count Dracula's daughter. Zosia chuckles. Not the sweet laugh I've grown to love, no, this is somewhat sadistic. She's pissed and anyone within a hundred miles of us could tell.

"So what you're saying is," Zosia starts, "that you didn't want me with him because you want him?"

Janet nods. I almost feel bad for the girl when Zosia knocks the bitch to the ground. "Just because you think I'm prettier than you doesn't mean you can sabotage my happiness."

I pull a raging Zosia away from a crippled Janet. "Calm down, ma."

She glares at me and rips from my touch. "I am not in the mood for either of you. You aren't my boyfriend and you aren't my best friend. I am alone just like I always have been."

She collects her bags and stalks off. J helps the girl up and I can feel the sparks from here. They talk for a little and I run a hand through my hair.

Grohl slaps me across the face.

"This is your problem. You let her walk away. You let her go home to that empty house thinking you don't care."

"What do I do?" I groan. My friend smiles at me.

"You follow."

➖✖➖

Only her living room light is on. I knock furiously on her door. It swings open by itself. I toss my boots off and walk into the lit area. She's curled on the couch under a pile of blankets.

"Baby," I say softly. Her head snaps up. Tears pool in her eyes and she lies back down. "Zosia."

"How'd you get in?"

"Your door was unlocked."

"I was hoping you'd come." My heart soars at her words. She wants me here. "Usually you don't." I rush to her side to see tears flowing freely down her face and over the tip of her nose.

I adjust her so I can slide onto the couch as well. My arms wind around her body. She sobs into my shirt. This girl makes me feel things. She makes me feel bad for things that used to please me. She makes me want to be good.

"I think I love you."

She holds me tighter. "I know I love you."