Chapter 1 - By Your Side

Chapter 1

 Present

After the long hard week, we finally decided to move to another place. For once and for all, I just want Christina and her son, Max, to be finally safe from Matt. This is the best thing to do. If we were to stay here in LA, every day of our lives would all just be coated in a blanket of fear and uncertainty. Christina’s life would never go back to normal again like it used to be.

Christina had her nightmares again. Last night was the worst of all the nightmares she had ever experienced. The first one started last week. I decided to stay the night in her house for the whole week to look out for her and Max. The second one happened when we slept together. Max was in it and I could see in her eyes how scared she was, even if it was just a nightmare. And then last night happened. We both knew that these were just reoccurring terrible dreams, but ever since Matt had escaped from the police, fear had taken its toll on all of us. Every night, I watched Christina go silent at the corner, her mind travelling back to those dire moments she experienced in Matt’s hands. I couldn’t do anything but assure her I will always be there for her.

I stack my clothes in my luggage bag and put everything that’s important inside a small pouch, placing it on top of my clothes. I look around the house one more time before I head out. Christina is out with Candice at the moment while Max is staying over with his dad. I know there’s not a lot of time left for us, but I want to make sure of something. I need to do this before the time comes that none of us would even expect it to happen. I get in my car and start veering off of to the next curb. As I drive along a straight path, I glance at the small white envelope resting on the passenger seat. I touch it as if it would feel the fear that I’m feeling right now. It’s a letter. A letter for Christina. But it’s not yet the right time for her to see it. For now, I will hand it to my brother, Michael. I know he can take good care of it. He knows when the right time for Christina to receive it will come. Just not now.

After almost half an hour drive, I arrive at Michael’s unit. He is stacking up paper work and even though he’s busy, he still understands why I have to see him. And, I’m thankful for that. That’s what I need anyway.

“Keep it safe,” I say as I hand him the small white envelope with Christina’s name written on it. 

“I will,” he replies, putting it inside a small box, stowing it away inside his closet. “Be safe, Adam. You and Christina.”

I just smile at him. That’s what everyone’s been saying to us. We appreciate it a lot, contrary though, to the fact that we’re living in fear at the moment. “You know I’ll always take care of Christina first.”

~*~

It’s already around three in the afternoon when I arrive at Christina’s house. She’s not yet around so I stay inside my car until she arrives. My eyes just can’t seem to stop moving. After everything’s that has been happening, I learn to be more vigilant in my surroundings.

At the right corner of the street, I see a black car parked on the side. Then there are some people doing their daily routine like jogging around the place, and people walking their dogs. Then there is a man who is wearing all black standing by the post right beside the black car. It’s kind of hard to describe his stature since the black car is blocking half of his body. He is smoking a cigarette and also wearing dark sunglasses so it’s hard to really describe what he looks like. But even though I can’t possibly know where his eyes are fixated, I feel a little bit odd with the way he stands and his position facing my direction. I just keep on staring at him. He’s not from here, I can say.

Just then, I see Candice’s car in my rearview mirror. They’re here. When I see Christina getting out of the car, I get out as well and head towards her. She is wearing that cute smile as she waves goodbye to her friend.