three

friday 22nd of january 2016

J.D felt like she was flying. She ran along the apartment roofs in her suit, her hair tied behind her head in a tight bun. Her eyes were slightly watery from the blowing wind and rain, but she didn't feel like catching the bus.

She was moving at the speed of light, or as fast as one could. Since she already had built the momentum, she didn't hesitate in leaping over the gaps between each building, sticking the landing almost every time. She felt the rush as she landed on top of Peter Parker's apartment building, stumbling a little. Her dark blue duffel bag bounced at her hip and she fell to the ground, releasing a breathless laugh as her body hit the gravel.

The pouring rain was hitting her body, quickly soaking her, but she barely felt it. After ten minutes of catching her breath, she unzipped her bag and pulled out a pair of track pants and a grey sweater. After changing, she ran towards the rooftop entrance and jogged down the stairs, pulling her hair out of its ponytail, the dark tendrils hanging loosely around her face.

When she reached number one-hundred and twelve, she knocked on the door and pulled her phone from her bag, texting her Uncle to let him know that she had arrived safely. He'd probably have her head on a spit if she didn't.

"Hey there Little Miss Sunshine." Ben Parker greeted J.D with a grin as he opened the door. J.D couldn't help but smile back, the older man's optimistic nature contagious. "Looks like you got caught in the rain."

"Is it that obvious?" She responded with a small smile and folded her arms over her chest, feeling chilly even though it had just turned spring. "How're you?"

"I'm great, excited for tonight." Ben replied and ushered the girl into the apartment. He was dressed in a maroon button down shirt tucked into a pair of grey dress pants. His dark hair was slicked back and he was practically skipping into the living room. "You sure you're okay staying here?"

J.D dropped her duffel bag on the sofa and tucked her hands in her pockets. "Yeah, it's fine. Herb didn't want me by myself for the night so it all works out."

Ben reached into the pantry and huffed slightly. "I would offer you a piece of brownie but there isn't any left."

"I can make some while you're out." J.D volunteered, and Ben chuckled.

"I'd be asking too much of you, knowing how damn good your baking is. But if you're sure, that's fine too." He said jokingly and drummed against the counter in the kitchen. "You know how the TV works, where the food is, you'll be fine. The boys are in Peter's room at the moment, and May has a pizza in the oven, all you have to do is turn it on."

"Hey, Uncle Ben-" Peter called as he stepped out of his bedroom. He froze when he saw J.D standing by the couch, chatting to his uncle. "Oh, hey J.D."

"Evening, Peter." She nodded at him and turned her gaze away, though he stared a moment longer before blinking and turning to his uncle.

"Uh, I was gonna ask what time you and May were leaving?" Peter queried, his phone in hand. "I thought your reservations were at six."

J.D pulled out her own mobile and saw the time. 5:45.

"Shit, May!" Ben called and May came rushing out of their bedroom in a stunning cream dress, her clutch under her armpit and her fingers fiddling with her dangling earring. Ben's grin widened and he stepped over to her, swinging his arm around her shoulders and pressing a kiss to her cheek. "Together fifteen years and you still take my breath away."

May chuckled and waved at J.D in greeting. "Hey, J.D. We'll be back by eleven, twelve at the latest. Don't let the boys do anything stupid, alright?"