Chapter 7

There was a time when the circle was not broken. There was a time when everything was
as it seemed. When there were no secrets.

The broken circle. Had Obi-Wan mistaken it? Or was Xanatos involved in Agri-Corps?

He couldn't tell the boy. Obi-Wan would demand answers that Qui-Gon wasn't willing to give. It was better to keep the past in the past.

Besides, the boy must learn patience.

Qui-Gon headed for the Home Planet Mine. It was amazing how much work had been done since the explosion. The mine was scheduled to go back into operation in only a week. Offworld had followed through on its promise, and had given money and droids. They had already cleared away debris from the tunnels, and were working on shoring them up again.

Clat'Ha waved at him from across the yard. She was heading into the mine with her workers. She'd barely stopped to sleep or eat since the explosion.

Qui-Gon opened the door to the temporary office, a hastily erected metal shed. VeerTa sat at a monitor that recorded the details of the operation. When she spun around in her chair, he saw that her face was alight with excitement.

"There is good news," VeerTa said in a low tone that throbbed with excitement. "The explosion has done us a great service, Qui-Gon It blasted deeper into the ground than we've ever gone before. We've discovered a vein of ionite."

Qui-Gon was impressed. Ionite was one of the most valuable minerals in the galaxy.

"Do you know what this means? No one has ever found ionite on Bandomeer. Traces, yes. But our main resources is azurite." VeerTa leaned forward, her gaze intense. "The Home Planet Mine will be the only source. The profits are potentially enormous. This can save the entire planet!"

"It is good news," Qui-Gon agreed cautiously. It was one thing to find a valuable mineral. It was another to control who mined it.

"You already see the problems ahead," VeerTa said shrewdly. Then we must keep this a secret. I haven't even told the members of the board. Only Clat'Ha knows. If Offworld discovers this, then they will easily drive us out of business and grab the vein for themselves. The explosion blew up all the azurite we've already mined. Technically, we're bankrupt."

"What's you plan?" Qui-Gon asked.

"Thanks to Offworld, we have money," VeerTa said. "True, they gave it to us in order to buy our trust by helping us rebuild. But we can use it to mine the ionite. We just need a few weeks to get everything operational. Then Offworld can't stop us."

VeerTa's face blazed with determination. Qui-Gon allowed himself to feel her enthusiasm. But at the same time, he wondered why VeerTa was letting him in on the secret. He waited, knowing there was more.

"Let me show you what we found," VeerTa said, rising.

He followed her into the mine. She gave him protective headgear and led him into the south lift tube. "The K region is safe," she assured him. "We've managed to shore up Core 6. We know through sensing devices that the new vein is below it. It's a level we haven't even dug to yet."

K-7. Core 6. Startled, Qui-Gon looked at the instrument panel on the elevator. As they descended, the indicator lights clicked on. Core 10. Core 9. Core 8. Core 7. . .

The nightmare rose in Qui-Gon's mind with all its dark power. "Is there a Core 5?" he asked VeerTa.

She shook her head. "We don't have the technology to go that deep. It's too close to the planet core. Offworld has developed deeper core technology, but if we try to buy or leas it, we could tip them off. We hope to get enough ionite out of Core 6." The Core 6 light glowed, and the elevator stopped.

Qui-Gon exited the tube and started to turn left.

"No," VeerTa said. "The tunnel is completely blocked that way."

She hit a switch near the door, and lights set into the rock walls glowed. Qui-Gon could see now that the tunnel was narrow and low-ceilinged, with a hydraulic track that ran down the center. The tunnel curved to his left as was swallowed up by inky blackness. There was a pale, bluish cast to the light glistening off the blue-black rock, reflection the presence of azurite.

"Clat'Ha and I came to see the damage," VeerTa went on. "the lift tube in the north tunnel was damaged, but should be operational in a few days. We have to fix that first.

She turned right and led thee way down the tunnel. A pile of rocks lay in their path, and a hole had been blasted in the tunnel floor. "The blast must have reacted with some gases below this level," she explained. "Here, the blast moved upward." She bent down and picked up a rock. She scratched it with a fingernail. Qui-Gon caught the glint of a dull
silver glow. "Clat'Ha noticed this. We took it back to study. She had a hunch, and she was right. Ionite. We dropped sensors and saw how much we had."

"You're going to have to be careful," Qui-Gon said. "If Xanatos finds out –"

VeerTa nodded. "That's why we need you. We'd like you to join the board of directors of Home Planet. With you on the board, Offworld wouldn't dare try to undermine us. They'd have to go up against a Jedi."

Qui-Gon was already shaking his head. "Jedi are forbidden to take part in any profit-making enterprise," he said.  We can't profit from our protection. It's an unbreakable rule."

"But think of the riches you'd be entitled to!" VeerTa said urgently. "You wouldn't have to keep them for yourself. You could donate them."

"I'm sorry VeerTa," Qui-Gon said firmly. "I'll help in any way I can. But this I cannot do."

VeerTa looked disappointed. Obviously, she didn't understand the role of a Jedi. "I'll have to be satisfied with that, then" she said. Her eyes glittered as her gaze roamed the mine shaft. "It's all here. Our future. I only pray we will succeed."

"I will do everything in my power to ensure it," Qui-Gon promised. Something told him the task would not be easy.