fresh start

Charlie picked me up from the airport that Saturday afternoon. It was weird seeing my father again. We rode in silence for about half the ride home. We just awkwardly looked at each other nervously the whole time. I asked him questions about work nervously.

"So......um..... How is work going?" My father was the chief of police in the small town of Forks. Work has become his life since my mother left him and took me along with him years ago.

"Work is good. Keeps me busy."

"Good. That's good." Neither of us could find anything to say so we just kept quite. I looked out the window at the tall pine trees. Their tops towered above me like skyscrapers. Their leaves rustled in the wind. They must be hundreds of years old, I thought to myself.

"They are beautiful, aren't they?" I gave Charlie a half smile.

"Yeah, they are." Just then, we pulled into the driveway.

"Here we are." My father smiled and opened his door. I sat there for a minute looking at the house. When I looked up, Charlie was standing by the front door with my bags in his hands. He gave me a sweet smile. I got out of his patrol car and carefully walked up the driveway so I wouldn't slip. When I walked in the house, I stopped abruptly. The house looked as I remembered, just more rundown. Charlie became very confused.

"What's wrong Bella?" A sigh managed to escape my lips.

"Nothing Char.........dad. I'm just remembering things. That's all." I was not allowed to call my father Charlie in his presence. I suddenly felt homesick. I didn't want to be here but I want my mom to be happy so I came. Charlie was waiting for me by the staircase so I followed him up. He opened the door to my bedroom and set my suitcases down on my bed.

"Thanks dad. Im just going to stay up here and unpack." he winked at me.

"Ok Bells. Ill comes get you when the pizza gets here?" I didn't realize I was hungry until my dad mentioned food.

"Oh, pizza sounds AMAZING!" I could imagine the taste of the delicious, hot, melty, cheesy pizza. He laughed and walked towards my door.

"Ok I'll come back up soon." I have been craving something unhealthy for weeks. My mother was on one of her health kicks. And when that happens, everyone (me and Phil) suffers. I turned my attention back to my bed and luggage. The sheets on the bed looked fresh but with Charlie, you could never be too careful. I made a mental note to ask him about that latter. I opened my suitcases and began unpacking. I put most of my clothes in the dresser and some shirts and shoes in the closet. I picked up my toiletries and put them in the bathroom. There was a neatly folded towel on the counter along with the pale washcloth. They were old and raggedy and didn't look very clean. But they would do for now I guess. I added them to my mental shopping list. I toke off my shoes and changed into comfortable clothes. I decided it would be a good idea to email my mother so she knows I survived the plane ride.

Mom,

I'm in Forks. The plane ride was good. No troubles. It's raining. That's to be expected though right? I start school on Monday. Not something im looking forward to. Especially sense it is March. Anyway, enough about me. How is traveling going? Hope you are enjoying the weather! Keep in touch. Tell Phil I love him and be careful. Both of you.

Love, Bella

Just after I sent the email, there was a soft rasping on my door.

"Pizza is here, Bells." I jumped up and ran to my door. I was starving! I let out a squeak when I ran into my father who was waiting for me. I had bumped into him as I was running out the door in my scurried excitement. He helped me back up and we walked down the stairs together.

The kitchen looked the same. It still had the faded yellow paint and the square two person table. It was upsetting that my dad still had not gotten over Rene. I grabbed a plate and piece of pizza. I walked into the living room and sat on the couch. The couch swallowed me up. I sank into the cushions. My dad laughed at my startled expression. He tilted his back, looked at the ceiling, and laughed. I took a bite of my pizza and leaned back into the couch. I savored the greasy, cheesy taste. It almost melted in my mouth. I enjoyed the feel of it as it slid down my throat.

We talked and watched basketball. Charlie's favorite pass-times were fishing and watching basketball. An hour later, I looked over at the clock.

"Hey dad, I've had a very long day and im pooped. Do you mind if I go to bed?" he gave me a half smile.

"Ok Bella. Sleep well."

"Thanks dad." I cleaned up the pizza mess then walked up to my room to shower. As I was about to turn out my light, I heard voices in the front yard.

'Thank you Billy. She will love it."

"No problem Charlie. Give me a call if anything goes wrong."

'Sure, Billy. Have a good night. You to Jacob. Come by tomorrow to show Bells how to work this thing?" a husky boy voice spoke next.

"Sure Charlie."

"Thanks guys. See you tomorrow Jacob." there was the roar of an engine and then headlights shown in my window for a minute. Then there was silence. I ran downstairs just as my dad closed the front door. He dropped what looked like keys into the basket we keep on the small table when you walk in the door.

"What..." Charlie cut me off.

"Go to bed Bells. You will find out in the morning." I just gave him a sarcastic, loud sigh, rolled my eyes, smiled, and turned around and walked back up to my room. I read for a while then turned out my light. I fell asleep that night thinking of my gloomy future here in Forks.