twenty-one

Author's Note: So I wrote chapter 21 on friday, only to be deleted by wattpad for a reason i dont know :----) kaya sobrang napatagal guys kasi nadelete yung sinulat ko last week at sobrang nabadtrip ako sa wattpad :--) pero here it is!!! sobrang tagal at alam kong sobrang galit na kayo sakin. i'll make it up to u guys!! promise! go to my aldub one shot collection tonight!!!! i'll be publishing my first one shot!!!!

pls dont forget to vote for this chapter and leave comments!! love u!!!

(((& shit 22k reads?!?!?!??!?!)))

--------------

AUGUST 2016

Maine didn't know how she ended up calling Alden the night her brother, Dean, called her to be home as quickly as she could.

It was around ten in the evening when Maine was reading the new book that Tristan bought for her and her phone obnoxiously rang. She was annoyed to say the least, because all she really wanted was to read the book without interruptions.

But then before she could even greet the person on the other line with a nonchalant hello, Dean was already telling her she needed to come home immediately.

She was terrified to ask why so she dropped the call and with shaking hands, called Jacob. She cussed when she remembered that Jacob was at Tagaytay at that time with his family and ended the call before he could even answer. He dialed Kim's number and told her everything. Kim had just woken up that time, so she suggested that she'd call her driver and drive Maine to Bulacan. But Maine was running out of time. She had no idea what was happening at home, and she couldn't risk half an hour of her time. Faye wasn't answering, probably because it was really late. Jade's house was an hour away from her and Tristan's was out of the way. She knew she couldn't bother Sofia nor Mary at this time of the night.

And so she settled for the first person on her contacts list: Alden Richards.

They hadn't exchanged a phone call at all. Yes, Alden had sent her messages and she had replied every time, but it wasn't necessarily a long conversation. And without thinking, without contemplating on whether she should do it or not, she called him.

And Alden answered immediately.

"Akala ko ba you didn't want to be interru—" Alden said before Maine cut him off.

"Alden," she breathed out. "Can you pick me up?"

And Maine waited for a couple of seconds of silence until Alden replied, "I'll be there in 10."

Alden didn't arrive exactly ten minutes after the phone call, but Maine couldn't blame him. The drive from his apartment complex would take around twenty minutes without traffic (twice the time with traffic) but he took a shortcut and made it in exactly fourteen minutes. He thanked God that the traffic was no longer as bad as it was three hours ago.

When Alden had gotten in front of her small apartment (through a narrow road), Maine jumped to her feet and opened the shotgun seat's door.

Alden immediately drove out of the complex, and asked, "Where to?"

"Sa Bulacan," she answered. "Sa Medical Hospital sa Sta. Maria. How fast can we get there?"

"About an hour," he answered, looking at his watch. "Matulog ka muna. You look exhausted."

"Hindi ako makakatulog sa ganitong lagay," she answered.

"Ano bang nangyari?"

But Maine did not answer. Instead, she connected her phone to Alden's radio the way she did before and blasted the first song on her playlist: Ho Hey by The Lumineers.