1: Breaking Hearts

"So that's it?" Grant's voice cracks, "Seven years and poof?"

                I nod my head. Grant holds his chest as if I actually shot him when in reality I simply told him we needed to go our separate ways. I hadn't planned for it to go this way. My plan was to meet him for lunch tomorrow and tell him how I felt but instead we're standing on my back porch at our graduation party.

                "Why?" He asks.

                "Grant, I already told you." I take another sip of my beer and scan the yard. Our parents are best friends and since Grant and I are so close in age, our celebrations have always been done together. I see Mrs. Parker give me a knowing grin and wonder what that's about.

                "No. I need a real reason." His tone grows angry, "Because needing space is not a justified reason."

                "Why not?" I'm starting to get pissed, "Why do you get to decide if what I feel isn't justified?"

                "You can't do this." He runs his hands through his hair and pulls a small box out of his coat pocket. "Dammit, Avery. I want to marry you."

                "Don't." I whisper. I reach out and try to stop him from getting down on one knee. Suddenly the buzz around the yard has gone quiet and sixty-three pairs of eyes rest on Grant and I.

                Grant manages a real smile and opens the box revealing a gorgeous square engagement ring. "Avery Taylor, I love you. I've loved you for as long as I can remember. We've been through a lot together and I'd be the happiest man on earth if you'd accept my proposal. Will you marry me?"

                I resist the urge to roll my eyes and risk a glance to where my best friend stands. Riley's eyes are full of excitement and she gives the slightest nod as if I'm looking for her approval. I know that she's going to be upset with me after I break her cousin's heart but I'd rather her be upset with me than living with regret for the rest of my life. Being with Grant has always been so easy and everyone's always assumed we'd be together forever, but this past year we've really grown apart. Our dreams are too far apart to continue putting off the inevitable. Grant wants to stay right here in Oklahoma and become the CFO at his father's law firm but I want to travel, to anywhere and everywhere, but mostly the east coast. I can't keep putting my happiness on the back burner anymore. I just spent four years at a college that wasn't my top choice, even after I was accepted to Auburn and I have had to swallow that regret every morning.

                I pull Grant up off his knees and pull him close, one last hug, I tell myself. "I'm so sorry." I whisper.

                "Avery. Please, I'll do anything." He whispers back.

                "I can't." I say, taking a step back. Grant's eyes fill with tears as I release his hand and turn, disappearing inside the house as the whispers start. I take the stairs two at a time and lock my bedroom door. I quickly strip off my dress and throw it on the floor. Sliding into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, I swipe angrily at the lone tear on my cheek. I hate that Grant made me do that. I didn't want to have a crowd witness that but he forced my hand when he freakin' proposed. Who does that? There's a knock at my door, which I ignore as I tie my converse.

                "Ave, it's me. Can we talk?" Riley calls through the door. She tells me that it's going to be okay as I throw my wallet and cell phone into my bag, along with a change of clothes. I have to get out of here. Riley's just the first. Soon it will be my sister Chloe knocking on my door or worse Grant.

                "Avery, please. I don't understand..." Riley trails off and I hear another voice. I can't make out who it is because they're talking so low. Zipping my bag, I grab my hoodie and throw open the door.