The Barista

Every single day is the same. He stands behind the counter facing the glass door with a hanging sign saying "Welcome". He greets every customer with a smile, politely ask for their orders, and then turns to prepare what they ask. That is his job. Everyday, that door opens and his job starts all over again. But he does not wish for that door to be permanently closed. Because that is her only entrance inside the coffee shop. Heck, that door is his only entrance towards his job, too.

Every single day, she goes inside the coffee shop. She stands in front of the counter waiting for the guy barista to take her order. She welcomes the scent of the bitter yet soothing aroma of coffee, give her order, and pay for it before she turns around to find a seat. This is her temporary bliss. Everyday, she goes through that door looking fresh from jogging and running around a nearby track to have a boost of energy. A cup of Caramel Latte. Everyday, she sits outside the coffee shop veranda under the pink Cherry Blossoms. Heck, those Cherry Blossoms are fake, just some lights designed to look like a Cherry Blossoms to attract some customers, but her beauty is far from fake at all and he is dangerously attracted to it..

Everyday, they tell the same lines over and over again.

"What is your order, ma'am?"

"A cup of Caramel Latte."

"That would be 150 pesos, ma'am."

"Here."

She then turns around and search for her spot at the veranda of the coffee shop under the artificial Cherry Blossom. She will not wait for her change because she always pay a hundred and a fifty peso bill.

They do not know each other except for their names and their roles in this coffee shop. .

His name is carved on a small gold nameplate pinned on the left side of his shirt, his white sleeves always folded up to his elbow.

Richard. A barista. The coffee maker.

Her name is handwritten by him on the tissue napkin beside the cup of Caramel Latte as an identifier to the said order.

Nicomaine. A customer. The coffee lover.

Every single day and every single time, he steals quick glances of her outside while she rests on her seat and listens peacefully from the music coming from her earphones. He always hope that she will look up and glance at him to give him a quick smile. But he is so sure that if ever that will actually happen, he will drop down to the floor behind the counter in pure shock and embarrassment. Then he might not be able to bring her Caramel Latte towards her table. Tragic ending, his boss might kick him out of this job because of that.

After placing the cup of hot Caramel Latte on the table in front of her, their quick meeting always ends up with:

"Enjoy your latte, ma'am."

"Thank you..." But this time, she adds a word that pops a smile on his lips.

"... Richard."