Twenty Four

Maine squeezed her eyes shut as she felt sunlight filter in the room through the window.

Goddammit. Was it morning already? Her head was pounding like she just finished a round in the octagon with Rhonda Rousey. Five more minutes she said to herself as she snuggled deeper under the blanket. It feels too comfy to get up right now.

Wait a minute, she thought. Sunlight? My blinds are always down. Who opened them?

She opened one eye and was jarred awake by the unfamiliar surroundings. She took in the room around her noting that she was alone and the door was closed.

Where am I? She stared up at the ceiling, slightly panicking at waking up in a strange place. She shifted on the bed, her face brushing the pillow. And why does this pillow smell like...smell like...RJ?

Then it dawned on her. She had fallen asleep on him during their session last night.

"God," she groaned,  "I hope I didn't say anything stupid or embarrassing."

She sat up and looked around. He must have put her in his bed. 

She looked down. Ok, she was still fully clothed so nothing unexpected happened last night. 

Disappointed? Were you really expecting something to happen? She chided herself for her thoughts. 

Of course nothing happened. Didn't she recall telling him that maybe they weren't meant to be together? What she said was like pushing a big stop sign in his face.

 And what did he tell her? Ugh! Come on Maine think! Why was it so hard to recall what he said? Was she really that plastered last night? 

She covered her face as a thought crossed her mind. Good grief! I hope I didn't try anything on him and he ended up rejecting me. Because that would just be so embarassing! 

Wait... she said to herself as she racked her brains, I think I might be remembering something. Wait...oh...yeah...he had...he had told her something about 3 years na syang moving on or something along those lines.

She took a moment to process this new realization. Was that it? Everything tied neatly in a bow?

Pero... Bakit may kirot? Dito sa bandang dibdib. She sighed and closed her eyes. Pati ulo ko parang pinupukpok. 

She opened her eyes and shifted to the side of the bed.  As she turned, her line of sight fell on the glass of water at the bedside table. She made a move to pick it up and noticed the note with an Advil beside it.

Maine,

Here's something to help you when you wake up. Hindi ko alam bakit nagpalunod ka sa alak kanina but I hope you're feeling better na.

Maine clicked her tongue. Hay ayan na naman. Napakabait mo talaga RJ. 

All his actions just made her feel worse... How things didn't work out between the two of them because of her. How sorry she was for how she treated him before. How obvious it was that she didn't deserve a guy like him.

God! If I could go back and change things I would, she thought. But I can't. All I can do is live with the aftermath of my actions and prevent things from getting worse.

She rubbed her forehead and prayed silently. But Lord maybe, just maybe, things could be different. I don't know. Baka pwede naman bigyan mo ako ng sign. Something, anything that would help me figure things out.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a ring tone coming from the side table. She looked over and saw it was coming from the phone beside hers. She peeked at the phone and saw Louise's name appear on the screen.