Epilogue

Marc Jacobs had just taken his bow after presenting his collection and Maine clapped along with the rest of the crowd. 

She still couldn't believe the magazine had agreed for her to take Mel's place in attending Fashion week in New York. Mel had argued with Ariel that she couldn't leave her baby for 2 weeks because she was breastfeeding and volunteered Maine for the job.

She was just gathering her bag and notes when she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.

"Hello!" she answered, "Kakatapos ko lang. This is the last one for me today. I'm on my way to go see you. Dapat libre mo ako ha?"

She made her way to the subway station and got off on Greenwich village.

She walked around until she came to a small restaurant where some patrons were finishing up their meal on the patio.

The signboard read: The Flipside Bar and Cafe

She pushed the door and stepped inside.

Her eyes scanned the room, there were a couple of customers about to leave, while most of the restaurant staff appeared busy cleaning up.

"Maine!"

She looked at the end of the room and saw Jan making her way towards her.

"Jan it's been soooo long! I missed you."

The two girls hugged and Jan told Maine to find a place to sit and make herself at home.

She chose a corner table and waited for her friend who came back with food and a bottle of wine.

"So how have you been? You've spent four months working here in New York already" Maine clapped her hands together. "Who would've thought you quitting your post at 14 degrees North would have you ending up over here."

"Oo nga jobless ako for a month when I first moved here. Ngayon surreal talaga. Dream ko talaga ito. To be part of a New York restaurant na nasa top 10 list." Jan said proudly.

"Congratulations nga pala. You're always talked about there sa Manila. You're Filipino fusion is giving awareness to our cuisine." Maine took another sip of her drink, "This is really good wine, it tastes like strawberries."

"It's from Baguio." Jan said pouring her some more.

"Really? Where do you get it from?"

"Well our food is predominantly Filipino fusion with some Asian mixed in. So we also carry a lot of Filipino wine and coffee to immerse yourself in the experience." Jan pointed to the rack in front of the restaurant containing wine bottles and bags of coffee. "We import them from the Philippines for restaurant use and sale."

"Ikaw din na immerse ka na dito sa New York, you only have time for quick hellos on viber or messenger. Email nga never." Maine accused her jokingly.

"Sorry talaga." Jan said, "I've been so busy adjusting and trying to get things in order. Plus there's the time difference between Manila and New York. My time here hasn't been easy, and I do get homesick. Yun lang it's hard for me to do something about it. Buti na lang, I get visits from people back home."

"Back home?" Maine looked at her quizzically.

Just then the front door opened and a familiar figure made its way to Jan and draped an arm on her shoulder. "Hey, I've got a special delivery for you."

Maine's eyes widened when she recognized the person who came in. "Heeeyyyy...Long time no see."

There was an awkward pause and Maine saw Jan dip her head down a little. She clapped her hand over her mouth. "Oh my god! Don't tell me...I wouldn't have thought. Jan! You never told me...the two of you?"