Twenty-Five: You Just Ruined a Perfect Reunion

Start from the beginning

"Fuck," Gretal muttered, "bullets are fucking painful."

"I missed your cursing."

Gretal glanced to the left and froze, not expecting him to be there. Or to be near her at all.

Cooper gave her a warm smile, eyes crinkling. Gretal almost swallowed her tongue as he walked to the side of her bed.

"W-What are you doing here?"

He rubbed the back of her neck. "Um, Oscar invited-d me. He told me everything that happened-"

"He told you everything? Even who-"

"Gretal-"

"I can't believe that asshole-"

"Gretal-"

"I'm going to kill him-"

"Gretal, I already knew!"

Gretal looked up, eyes wide. Her heart hammered against her chest and the heart monitor beside her sped up a little.

"What?"

"I said I already knew you were Athena. You were very obvious with it, especially since you would get injured at the same time Athena did. And when you were told to stay back, Athena wouldn't show up."

"That doesn't mean-"

"And you asked me if I can give you the most recent photos I took of Arachne. And, I think it's pretty obvious that Arachne is Athena's nemesis."

"That still doesn't confirm-"

"And then Oscar told me everything, which did confirm it."

Gretal glanced down at the white sheets, eyes watering. "I'm sorry."

Cooper stayed quiet.

"I only wanted to keep you safe and out of danger."

He sat down beside her. Then all of a sudden he wrapped his arms around her, resting his chin on her shoulder. Gretal froze, then once she relax she teared and before she knew it she was crying a ducking river.

"I'm so sorry!" She sobbed into Cooper's neck, pretty much covering him in snot and tears. "It was so scary! I didn't know what to think! All I saw was blood and I thought I was going to die!"

Cooper cupped her face as he moved away, wiping her tears gently with his thumbs. "I'm sorry." He whispered gently, then quickly pressed his lips to hers.

Gretal's eyes widened, tears still falling down her cheeks. What the hell is up with him today? Her cheeks redden, and even got more redder when John appeared at the doorway.

He cleared his throat and Cooper pulled away, stammering.

"I-I'll see you later, G-Gretal! I'm glad y-you're okay."

Gretal watched in shock as Cooper practically ran out the door. She glanced at John, frowning. "You just ruined a perfect reunion."

He smiled, patting her knee gently before sitting down beside her. "I'm glad I'm always here to ruin the mood for you."

She huffed. "That goes without saying."

John stared straight ahead and Gretal opened her mouth, but quickly closed it when his hands tightened into fists in his lap.

"I regret what happened, Gretal. I should've at least done something-"

"No!"