2

ADRIA

As Irene and I walked around the courtyard of Eichen, we made small talk. She told me about some of the events that were happening in the outside world that magazines wouldn't provide. As she talked about more random things like the sheriff catching a suspect for something, I interrupted her.

"Irene? When will I be allowed to leave?" I asked her. She fell silent for a couple minutes after that, probably thinking. After a few more minutes passed she finally spoke up,

"Well. Your parents signed you in here until you're stable. So until someone signs you up to get your, well, stability tested, then you'll be in here for a while."

I felt hopeless. "Okay. Thank you."

"Of course, sweetie. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I've been reading about the recent animal attacks, which we both know aren't just animals, and I just want to make sure my brother is okay." I sighed making her nod. I hadn't seen Liam since that night twelve years ago, when I was dragged here by my father. I thought about him all of the time. I wish I could see him just once.

"Well he probably is, wherever that may be."

"I hope so."

"So... About your visitors. Do you think you can handle them after so many years?" Irene asked making me nod my head.

"I can handle them. If they threaten me I can always eat them." I said jokingly, only neither of us laughed.

"Well, let me know when you're ready to go swimming. I'll take you inside." Irene whispered. She whispered because not a lot of people new about the pool, and even fewer were allowed in there. It was mostly the water-based creatures that swam. There were a couple mermaids and mermen, but I was the only Siren. The 3 or 4 merpeople would give me side eye as I swam around the pool, and I hated it. It's like they were waiting for me to draw someone in and kill them, then and there. Yeah, sure I had temptations to, but I wasn't some compulsive murderous freak anymore. At least that's what I liked to tell myself.

I hugged my arms tighter around my body as I nodded, and Irene walked me into the locker room. I stripped out of my clothes and wrapped myself in a towel. There was no point putting on a swimsuit when I would just rip it during my shift. I walked out of the locker room and into the pool area, seeing only Irene sitting there, no one in the pool. I almost let out a sigh of relief; I loved when I got the pool to myself. I could let out my fangs and my claws, and I didn't have to worry about someone screaming at my appearance. I walked over to the small diving board, stepping up onto it. I bounced up and down on it slightly before diving into the pool.

As soon as the water hit my skin I allowed myself to shift. I could feel my legs start to tangle together and create my tail. My tail was beautiful. It was black, blue and purple, with the shininess of silver laced within it. My tail was stunning, along with powerful. I soared through the water with it, able to flip through the air, and I could do many things with the swish of it. After about 30 minutes of non-stop swimming, I finally took a break by propping myself up at the side of the pool by my elbows. I was at complete and utter peace until Irene's voice broke the trance I was in.

"See, I told you. She's a phenomenal swimmer." I heard Irene speak softly. I turned around, diving into the water, swimming to the side of the pool she was on, propping myself up again.

I looked up to see Irene, and two boys, one slightly younger looking and shorter than the other. The tall one was tan with dark hair and dark eyes, but a kind smile and a crooked jaw. The shorter one was pale with blondish-brown hair and light brown eyes.

I looked up at Irene, wondering why she was letting these two strangers see me in my supernatural form.

"Adria, these are your guests. That's Scott, and that's Liam." She smiled. My eyes widened at the mention of his name.