Paige touches up my makeup and hair, and as she does so, I review what I'm to do out loud. "First, I go to the lobby where they will all be waiting and tell them what we will be doing: a maid will bring all of them, one at a time, into the men's room where I will be waiting. I will talk to each of them for up to ten minutes. They will be sent out and the next one will come in. I am to eliminate ten to fifteen of the suitors after I have met with them all."

The last detail sends a shiver down my spine. I have to send at least ten men home before I even really know them. The what-if worries come back; what if I send home the man I was meant to marry?

"You look beautiful, you know," Paige says, looking into the mirror. I nod, smiling at our reflection.

"Thanks to you," I reply, squeezing her hand.

She lets out a small laugh, taking a polite step back as I begin to make my way to the door. "Miss, you always look beautiful. No matter what you're wearing or how much makeup you have on, you are always stunning. Everyone thinks so. All the maids, all the butlers, all the kitchen staff... I hear them talk about how naturally beautiful you are all the time. And I have the honor of getting to see your natural beauty every day." With one last smile, she walks in front of me towards the door. "Good luck, miss, you'll do amazing. They'll fall in love with you on the spot." She giggles, and rushes down the hallway.

I grin to myself. "Yes they will," I murmur.

-

"Hello, all of you." My voice is bright, excited. "It's a pleasure to meet each and every one of you today. I hope you are enjoying your stay at the palace so far- if you have any questions or if there's anything that would make your stay even more enjoyable, please, let your maids or one of the other staff know." I pause for effect, looking over the crowd of men. Some of them pop out at me, as having nice hair, or beautiful eyes. But I make myself wait to show a reaction to any of them. "Now I will explain what we will be doing next. I will have a private, one on one meeting which each of you in that room right over there, the men's room." I point to the room. "I will be waiting in there, you all will be waiting out here. A maid will bring you in. We will talk for ten minutes and then the next suitor will enter after you leave. After the meetings are over, unfortunately, I will have to send ten to fifteen of you home. So be prepared." I swallow the nervousness, hoping my voice will remain steady. "I can't wait to meet all of you." Pasting one last smile on my face, I turn and walk to the men's room, closing the door behind me.

I release the breath I was holding, allowing my posture to sag a little. Paige made sure to create an invisible pocket in my dress so I could keep a list of the suitors in the order they'll be entering in. First I will meet Jackson Cavalry from Zuni. I think I remember him having intimidating, gray eyes. Hopefully his personality isn't as cold as his eyes.

The door squeals as it opens, causing me to jump. I straighten my posture and take cautious steps forward. Jackson enters, bowing as soon as he sees me. A smile crosses my face, and this time I don't have to force it to. His face is handsome- and his eyes aren't as cold as I remember them being in the picture. When he smiles, they smile too. His dark brown hair is a nice length; not too long, not too short. His teeth are white and perfectly straight. He must come from a well off family.

"Princess Amberly," he says, taking my hand as soon as he reaches me. He kisses it, making me blush. 

"Mr. Jackson Cavalry, from Zuni," I reply, bowing my hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Let's sit."

Two chairs are set up next to each other, and we sit down. I can't help noticing that he sits on the edge of his seat, like my mother does.

"The pleasure is mine. Let me thank you for this opportunity. The palace is amazing, I already know this will be an amazing experience." His voice is deep and low, but somehow almost soothing to listen to.