PART ONE MY STORY

My A-Level results were not quite good enough to get me into college. I was disappointed. The next best thing, though, was to start earning. I started as a retail trainee manager in the mid-eighties. I was lucky enough to get the only job I had ever applied for. I had worked for this multi-national retailer part-time as I studied for my A-Levels. I got on the trainee program, packed my bags and left home for South Yorkshire.

My first Store Manager was a monster! He was a big man. He had a face that only his mother could love. He wouldn't have looked out of place with a bolt through his neck. The management team called him Herman Munster. He called it how it was.

His management style was definitely 'Rule by Fear.'

"A bit harsh." I hear you say. "He couldn't have been that bad."

"Well, he was."

Being managed by fear was an experience. The management team's only goal was to work his mood.

Coming into work, the first question on everyone's lips would be, "What mood is he in?"

He would have 'chiller chats' with certain management team members. He would take them into the walk-in fridge and shut the door. What happened inside was left to the imagination.

He used to swear-A a lot. Usually out of earshot of the customers. Not always, though. When he was angry, spittle used to spray from his mouth.

My worst memory of this time was when he was not happy with my facing up of the tea aisle. I had done the evening shift. I was working until two in the morning. One of his minions came knocking on my door at seven in the morning. Telling me I had to go to work 'as 'The Boss' wanted to see me.'

He grabbed me by the earlobe! Dragged me around the shop, pointing out my mistakes. I had missed part of the tea aisle. So I deserved it?

Things came to a head sometime after that. He was, to be fair, the same with almost everyone. His two or three minions were the exception.

 I took a call from the general office. It was for him. He was there and asked me to put it through to his office. I didn't know how to do it. I lost the call. I had never seen someone go that red in the face while spitting and swearing. I was terrified. For the first time, however, I stood up to it. I walked out of the office and slammed the door. A while later, I was summoned. He continued to criticise. I told him. I was not going to take the abuse. He became quiet. I left. Later that day, he cornered me. He told me that I had 'balls.' That was all it took. I had to stand up for myself. From then on, he never bothered me.

I feel that this manager had two significant effects on me. The biggest one was to desensitise me against bullying. The other was to help me recognise when a manager used fear to motivate.

I did not, however, at this stage equate this style of management with bullying. Or if I did, I thought that was the right way to do it.

A few years later. 'The Company' went through what they call a 'sea change'. Before this, I had struggled with the notion that I had to manage like 'Herman'. Managers were sent on 'Teamwork' courses. We were taught to respect staff (now called colleagues) and were managed by behavioural competencies. This was a significant change. It suited me better, and it took a few years to understand the implications fully.

Hermans' reign of terror came and went. I think he got moved on after complaints of swearing by customers.

I moved stores every two or three years or so, either upward or to the side or for better hours. Many different managers are all talking about teamwork and feedback. All expressive as it should be when managing emotional people. The most common trait among these managers seemed to be building a team around them. Mostly in a good way but occasionally in a favouritism way. I was either in or out of this. I didn't want to be seen as a 'creep', so mainly I was out.