Chapter 8: Reunion

When my body hits the ground, my camera flies off my hands and gets smashed. In that split second, Albert dives on top of me, protecting my head with his arms and hiding my face in his chest. I can hardly breathe or move, and I seem to have lost sense of everything, but one thing is crystal clear in my mind and in my heart-Albert is guarding me with his life.

My thought is then interrupted as I feel more pressure pushing down on me. The beast must have leapt onto Albert. I'm intoxicated with fear when my ears catch its shrieking growl followed by a flesh tearing noise. Albert recoils in response, unable to stop the weak whimper of pain that escapes his lips. Yet his arms tighten around me even more. Panic seizes my heart, and I want to scream, but nothing comes out, not even a whisper. Next, my life flashes before my eyes, like I am going to die. This is it, and I haven't had a chance to confess my love to Albert.

In the nick of time, gunfire enters the scene. Then a growl of agony fills the air. I'm not sure what's happening, but I hear the sounds of footsteps running toward us mixed with the shouts of men and the barking of dogs. My mind can't quite process this drastic change, but as men are pulling Albert away from me, I spot the cougar lying on the ground, shot and injured. One police officer takes Albert with him, and my heart sinks at the sight of Albert's blood-stained T-shirt. Then a middle-aged conservation officer comes to me and helps me get up. He asks in a caring expression, "Are you hurt too, young lady?"

I seem to have lost my voice, so I merely shake my head. Then he says, "Your boyfriend needs immediate treatment to his wounds, and an ambulance is on its way."

I don't bother correcting him that Albert is only a friend. For the time being, I don't feel like explaining myself to a stranger. Yet I manage to get some words out of my mouth. "Will you please take me to Albert?"

"Of course. So his name is Albert? What about you?" he asks. After introducing myself, he tells me his name is Ian. Then he adds, "We received reports early this morning from various hikers and mountain bikers that they spotted a cougar lurking in the undergrowth near the trails. Didn't you notice our warning signs?"

Shaking my head in shame, I note that a few conservation officers are taking care of the injured fawn and cougar. As Ian is leading me to Albert, he comments with a serious face, "If this had occurred to me and my wife, I would have done the same. When danger arises, it's male instinct to protect the woman he loves."

I merely nod. Meanwhile, the urge to cry washes over me, and regretful tears literally pour from my eyes, wetting my cheeks. Ian gives me pats on my shoulder, and with an understanding look, he remarks reassuringly, "Don't worry, young lady. Many people, including young children, have survived cougar attacks, and your boyfriend looks tough enough."

When I see Albert sitting on a big log, he is shirtless, and his torso is bandaged, so clearly he has been given some basic first aid. Then he notices me, and he motions me over to sit down beside him. When I do, he promptly grasps my hand and brings it to his lips, as though he uses his gesture to communicate to me again. I'm astonished yet elated, letting him clasp his hand with mine. Ian then teases, chuckling slightly, "Hi big guy, can't wait to kiss your girlfriend, huh?"

The officers surrounding us laugh, and at the same time Albert shoots me a confounded glance. He is obviously baffled and intrigued by Ian's words, but he doesn't correct the officer either. My initial reaction is shyness and embarrassment. As I inadvertently divert my eyes to the ground, I remember how frightening it was when I thought the beast was going to kill us both, and the thing I regretted the most then was that Albert didn't know my true feelings. So a thought slithers into my head, why don't I take advantage of this?

Hence, I brace myself to plant a chaste kiss on his dirt smeared face. Everybody cheers, but Albert appears really confused after that, gazing at me with increasing puzzlement. As I bashfully return his gaze, Ian whistles and suggests to his teammates, "Well... I think we should leave these two lovebirds alone."