~ Chapter 1

"Let's go, Mason." Today I am going to another therapy with my brother. I know he doesn't like going to the hospital, but he has to.

I just hope his favourite doctor will be there, that would make things easier. Mason adores Dr. Smith. Dr. Smith has over the years become a family friend, he knows about our situation and is always willing to help us out. He is seriously one of the kindest people there have ever been on this planet.

I don't like going to the hospital either it reminds me of the first time we found out about Masons health and the horrible news that could be waiting for us each time we get there. But Mason wants me to go with him, so I do.

My five year old brother has leukemia. Our lives have been really difficult since we found out about it. He wasn't born with it, though, that lights up the situation a little. I have never been able to say it out loud, neither have I ever talked about it with someone else beside the doctors and I don't believe there is any use in talking about it.

We partly survive from my father's salary, he helps building houses, flats, roads and anything else that provides money for us, which leads to him being gone for a long time sometimes. My mother doesn't work, she is mostly home to keep an eye on the house and take care of Mason when my father and I can't.

Since the therapies are expensive and my father's salary isn't enough, I started working too. It was only logical to me to do something with the piano for work. Luckily people have discovered my passion for it through connections. Now I play in restaurants and if I am lucky I play a small part in concerts. The money that I get for those little things go to my brothers therapies. It doesn't bother me giving the money to him, since I can remember I have always wanted to have a little brother or sister, and I love Mason with my whole heart, I don't want to lose him. I love playing piano, but I never feel comfortable playing in front of people, I prefer playing on the piano of my grandmother in the garage. Before she died five years ago she told me I should inherit it from her. She was the one who taught me how to play. I love sharing music with others, but I don't love the attention. The garage is the perfect place for me, because it is very cosy and it is very open. It has always been nice to hear the wind play with the trees while I trace the keys with my fingers.

"Wait a minute, I have to find Mr. Spider." My little brothers sweet voice came from the living room. Mr. Spider is his teddy bear, he always brings it along when we go to his therapies.

While I am getting ready to leave, my mom came to me. "Scarlett, remember you have to perform in the restaurant when you come back from the appointment. Don't be late." I just nodded. Luckily Mason just walked towards me with Mr. Spider.

"You found him!" I said cheery. My brother put on his jacket and shoes quickly.

"Good luck." My mom gave Mason a kiss on his forehead when he had finished. When she finished with Mason she turned to me and also gave me a kiss. Since we can't afford a car, Mason and I have to go with the bus and walk a small part to the hospital. When I closed the door behind me, I turned around and faced my little brother. Based on the way he is looking at me I know he wanted something.

"Whats upp, little buddy?" I asked.

"Would you like to play a game with me, Scarlett?"

"Sure, which one?" My heart always melts when I see that twinkle in his eyes when I say 'sure'.

"Who first reaches the bus station wins."

"What does the loser have to do?"

"The loser treats the winner."

"Sounds good to me." I gave him a smile. This isn't the first time we play a game, Mason usually wants to play games with me. He always wins them though, I never mind to lose of him. I have to confess he is quicker than you would expect. I treat him on a ice cream, chocolate or candy, it depends on what he wants and how much money I have. "On three."