Chapter 11

"Ready to go?" Lisa asked perkily as my dad dumped ice into a cooler filled with cold drinks.

Dylan adjusted the backpack that contained our beach towels and other essentials for our canoe. "All set." He answered for the both of us.

°°°

Within half an hour later, Dylan and I were floating down the river. The splashing, hollering, laughing and music blaring from random canoes contrasted with the natural beauty surrounding us. I tilted my face up to the sun to absorb the warmth, feeling peaceful.

"Want a beer?" Dylan offered, flipping open the lid of the cooler that sat on the floor of our canoe.

"What about your mom and my dad?"

He glanced over his shoulder at the canoe that they were currently in. Lisa's eyes sparkled at my dad who had probably said something that amused her. Dylan turned back around and smiled. "They not going to notice." He pulled out a bottle before opening it and handed it to me.

"Thanks."

I glanced at Dylan's slumped figure. He seemed completely relaxed. Like he didn't have a care in the world. I wondered if he did miss his father. If he resented my dad? Yesterday was the first day he opened up to me and it intrigued me in a way that's made me crave to find out more about him.

"You okay?"

I smiled. "Yeah, why?"

"You were staring at me as if I had grown an extra head."

"Wouldn't that be useful." He scowled. I laughed slightly. "I'm sorry, I was just thinking."

"You tend to do that often. You know that right?"

I rolled my eyes playfully. "And you don't?"

"When do I ever stare out at nothing in deep thought?" He took a swig from his beer. "I'm not that dramatic."

"I wouldn't call it dramatic." I stated dryly. The temperature began to rise and I took off my T-shirt, revealing a colourful plaid string bikini. Dylan smirked. "What?"

"I don't remember that bikini." His eyes trailed down my figure. My cheeks tinged slightly pink, which Dylan noticed and immediately stopped the paddling, an amused grin curved his lips as he poked my cheek. "Are you blushing?"

I shot him an icy glare before slapping his hand away. "No." He smiled at my response and picked up the paddle again.

"What ever you say princess." I rolled my eyes at his comment. "What where you thinking about?"

I glanced up at him. "Your dad. My dad."

He nodded. Obviously he wouldn't want to talk about that topic. It must've been a difficult topic for him to talk about yesterday and I respect that he's not in the mood today.

We steered around a narrow bend, before the water opened up into a large pool surrounded by cliffs where people sat drinking and eating their lunch.

We stepped out of the canoe into chilled water that sent a rush of goosebumps over my skin.

Unexpectedly, a holler cut through the air. I spun around just in time to see a body plunge into the water with a huge splash, making the girls around him squeal from the cold spray. I looked up to the top of the ledge, where a line of people awaited a turn. My heartbeat sped up its pace just at the thought of cliff jumping.

"Are you coming?" Dylan called.

I pulled my attention away from the cliff. "Huh? Yeah, I'll be right there." Dylan continued through the water carrying the cooler. I glanced up at the cliff again, an electric charge shot under my skin.