Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Amelie

"Amelie, why are you wearing a Spongebob Squarepants blouse?" Camille asked as soon as she saw me approaching them.

"I couldn't find my 'Griezmann 7' one" I answered honestly, although I didn't explain why I had decided to put the yellow shirt instead.

Camille was Morgan's fiancée, one of the team's midfielders and she was standing in the foyer along with the rest of the wives and children of the French football players. It was almost time for us to leave Clairefontaine and go to the stadium where the team's next match with Albania would take place. The guys were already there for a few hours.

I noticed that almost everyone was dressed in jerseys with the names of their men or dads. Claire, Maina and Noah, for example, had the name 'Koscielny 21' on their backs and Jennifer had 'Giroud 9'.

"Are you excited, big guy?" I asked Noah, pinching his cheek gently.

The little boy nodded with a grin. Even from this age he loved football and his dad was his hero. Laurent adored his children as well and they were adorable together.

Once everyone had arrived at the lobby, it was time to go. The ride to the stadium lasted thirty minutes and there we were greeted by a couple of bodyguards, whose job was to protect us from the reporters outside. We got out of the rented cars and walked safely to the inside of the building where the match was going to be held.

Most of the women went to take their seats on the bleachers and I would have followed them, but I wanted to see Antoine first and wish him good luck. Instead, Payet's wife, her oldest son and I headed to the locker rooms. We were allowed to roam around the corridors, because we had the passes that were given to everyone who accompanied the team.

"I love your shirt" Payet's son told me, when we were almost outside the lockers.

Didier Deschamps' voice encouraging his players could be heard.

"Thank you, I love yours" I answered, pointing at his small jersey with his father's name and number on the back.

I could see movement from the corner of my eyes as player by player left the locker room.

"Daddy" the little boy shouted once he saw his dad and run towards him to hug him.

Behind Dimitri Payet was Antoine, who had just exited the room. His eyes found mine and a huge smile appeared on his face. Then, his gaze fell on my Spongebob Squarepants shirt and he erupted into laughter.

"Nice blouse" he said approaching me.

"Thank you" I replied, a smile on my lips.

"We're going to win for sure now" he commented confidently and opened his hands to give me a hug.

He was a few centimeters taller than me and the side of his cheek touched the top of my head.

"Always cocky and too confident for your own good" I told him, amusement evident in my voice.

Antoine laughed loudly, before resting his hands on my arms. Then, he leaned in to whisper in my ear.

"By the way we match today; I'm wearing my Spongebob Squarepants underwear" he said in a deep voice.

"Well, now you can't not do great today. I believe in you and Mr. Squarepants" I winked and he grinned like a small kid.

"I'm so glad you're here, Amelie" there was something in his eyes I couldn't decipher.