Torture Is Worse Than Anything Imaginable

T h e h e r o

Chris drives me back to work as I listen to Taylor Swift on the radio. Blank Space will forever be stuck in my head, and I hate it. I will probably die when the villains come into the White House to try for World Dominance, and I feel as though Taylor's song will be on a continuous loop while that is happening. I just want a peaceful death.

I look out the window and then think more about death, but this time not my own. "Hey," I call to Chris, "Do you think the villains have access to my file?"

"I'm not sure.... security is pretty tight, but they may have gotten access. Why?"

I shrug. "Oh, no reason.... just bored. I ask random questions when I'm bored."

He nods his head, letting the Weeknd distract him from my annoyance.

The reason why I am asking is because of my brother. He was a nut-case, and then he committed suicide, and I always feel and have felt like it is my fault. There is just something about his death and the way he was acting the month before that makes no sense to me.

Sure, my brother was crazy-- take one look at his dishevelled brown hair and anyone could tell you that-- but he was never once suicidal. He was always so happy; then he got admitted to the hospital. I know the workers there helped him a lot, and he really liked them, but I'm not so sure about the others. I visited a lot, but my brother would mainly just want to show me his coin collection, which brings me to another flaw in this mystery.

My brother was fixated on his coin collection, that was pretty much it. Some days, before the hospital, he would come into my room, empty out my change, and record every coin and the year it was made. So why would his fixation suddenly change to world domination? I don't know, and neither do the doctors.

My guess is that it has to be from another patient. Maybe someone else talked about it all the time that my brother became fixated with it. That thought makes my stomach tighten. What if I had already seen the villain? What if his face is stored as a memory in my brain? Is he the reason that the suicide happened? Will I be able to def---?

"Is it because of your brother?"

I turn and look at Chris. "If you want to know the truth, then yes. I think the villain was in the hospital with my brother, and if I'm right it means that the villain already knows my weaknesses. I think he knew my brother."

Chris nods and turns onto the road leading up to the White House. "Denise, we've been able to use camera footage and the resources of your file to figure out who this guy is. His name is Lector Hendon."

A wonderful idea comes into my mind. "So now all you have to do is handcuff him, right?"

"Wrong." He turns to the White House gates. "We know the who but not the where."

I furrow my brows. "So what do we have to do now?"

He stops the car and slowly turns his head towards me. "Prepare for war."

-------------

T h e v i l l a i n

"So, boss, what're we doing now?" Shannon asks me.

Right now there are two Shannon's, one asking me questions and the other telling me how to answer.

I look over at Shannon number two for her answer.
We get the weapons ready.
I turn back to Shannon number one.
"We get the weapons ready."

Shannon number one looks over to my left where Shannon number two stands, when the door opens and the real Shannon walks in.

"Hey boss," she says wearily. "Everything okay?"

I avoid her question. "Inform Simon on what is going to happen next and that he has to comply. Also, ask him and see if he has any information on Denise."

"Denise?" She looks confused. "Who's Denise?"

"An old friend of mind," I answer. "I haven't seen her in a long time. She plays the hero in my story."

"Your story?"

Shannon should know better than to ask such stupid questions, but I let it slide this time for the soul reason that she isn't a heartless ginger.

"Yes, my story. I control what is going to happen because I know Denise, and I know where to strike to bring her down. The hero usually wins, but not in my story."

She smiles, nods her head, and closes the door behind her as she leaves.

"In my story if the villain doesn't win... Everybody loses."