Chapter 7: Dinner and a Show

Start from the beginning

She stood in front of the bathroom mirror and sighed, checking out how she looked in the tenth dress she'd tried on that evening. "This is ridiculous," she told herself through the mirror, "You're trying hard and you don't even know if you like him." She buffed and rolled her eyes at her own behavior. She assumed that Paul was probably nonchalant about the whole thing. He was probably already dressed and just waiting for eight o'clock, when their date began. She also couldn't help but think how unprofessional this was. But if it helped her to make him or the others like her, she thought it was worth breaking the rules.

Audrey decided to go with a fitting navy blue sleeveless dress and, instead of wearing her hair in it's signature beehive, she slicked it back into a neat ponytail, held by a matching blue ribbon, and her bangs were slicked off to the side. She looked absolutely beautiful; something like a model or a princess. She fixed up what little makeup she wore and gave her self one last look in the mirror, making sure she looked presentable. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. "This is it." She breathed to herself. Audrey ran her hand down her beautiful dress nervously and stepped into her white stilettos. She walked over to the door and opened it, revealing a well dressed Paul on the other side. In one hand he held a small bouquet of flowers while his other hand was tucked into the pocket of his trousers. "Good evening." Audrey greeted, a sweet grin raising. Paul smiled as he looked her over. "You look beautiful." To which he said honestly. He did in fact think she was very beautiful in this moment. Audrey blushed and chuckled. "I suppose those are for me, Mr. McCartney?" Audrey asked as she nodded towards the flowers in his hand. Paul snapped out of the small daze her look pulled him into and his smile grew. "Oh, yes." He handed her the flowers and she took them generously. "Thank you, Mr. McCartney. They're absolutely wonderful." Audrey turned from him and went back inside. "I'll find something to put these in. Come in, won't you?" She called to Paul. Paul stepped inside to her hotel room that identified his, except her room smelled like sweet flowers and honey. With both hands in his pockets now, he waited for Audrey as she looked dug around in the kitchenette. "So, tell me," she continued to call to him, "Where is it we're going tonight?" Paul gently tugged on his collar, feeling the need for air. He was just as nervous as Audrey. Not because he was going out with her - no, Paul never feared dates or being alone with a lady - but the plan he'd come up with Ringo and John kept tumbling through his mind and he wasn't sure if he should go through with it anymore. However, it was too late and he was already stuck in this position.

"Well," Paul began, "I thought we'd go to a nice little restaurant I'd seen while we were out on the city today. You can eat there and watch as people go up on this stage to recite poems or give small plays. It's sort of similar to dinner theater except anyone can go up and none of it's rehearsed, you know." Audrey smiled, grabbing a glass cup and filling it with tap water from the sink. "It sounds lovely." She chimed. Audrey set the flowers in the glass and set it on the kitchen counter. She rushed back out to Paul. "Shall we leave now?" Paul asked. Audrey nodded and grabbed her coat, draping it over her shoulders as they left.

The busy streets of London seemed relaxing with the night sky twinkling down on them. The air was crisp and chilled but cosy, peaceful even. It was such a lovely night out that instead of taking a cab, the two decided that they'd walk to the restaurant together. "It's nice out, isn't it?" Paul said softly. "Very." Audrey mused. There was a small moment of silence before Audrey spoke up again. "Why'd you ask me out, Paul?" She asked curiously. "What do you mean?" He replied. Audrey sighed and crossed her arms, tucking them under her chest. "I mean... Why? It just seemed so out of place. One minute you treat me one way and the next..." Audrey trailed off, not really knowing what to say. She was duly confused.

Paul shrugged his shoulders. "I just thought it would be a nice way to make it up to you. Besides, haven't you ever heard the phrase 'if a boys mean to you, that means he likes you." Well John must be in love with me if that's the case, Audrey thought to herself. "I suppose." She said with a grin starting to inch out on her pink lips. She never really seen the Beatles' negative behavior towards her as being cute teasing a usual boy does if he really likes you. No, these Beatles seemed vicious and harsh. It was hard for her to understand what Paul really meant but she tried. Though, it seemed difficult.