Repercussion

The incident at the Ball left Kira unsettled. She didn't know how she'd face Gouenji after running away, leaving him and his question lost in the crowd. Gouenji' s face appeared in her mind, every time she remembered that moment, how he pleaded her to answer him, how hopeful he was that things would change now that he actually talked to her directly, how he watched her go leaving him alone. It hurt her to think about what she had done to him. She wasn't at all, ready to see him again but she had no way of avoiding him. It's not like she could just stop showing up at the Royal court until she felt better. She finally gave up on figuring out how to get away with facing him and focused on how to keep her composure when she does. Once again, she steeled her spirit and got ready for the day ahead of her.

All through the way Kira was lost in her thoughts, her melancholy reflecting on her face. She didn't even greet the farmers she saw every day. Quietly, she reached the castle and quiet she remained when she took her usual place in the court. Slowly the remaining places were filled by their respective owners and it was then time for the Emperor to arrive. Kira's heart beat a little faster as she prepared herself to see him.

The next moment, Gouenji appeared in all his usual glory; yet to Kira he didn't seem quite himself. Before settling down on his throne his eyes darted towards Kira for a second who was standing like everyone else and looking in his direction. Their gaze met for a moment before Gouenji looked away. There was something in the way he did it that shattered Kira' s heart. He looked sad and hurt and disappointed and maybe even a little bit angry. He looked like he had given up on her. Kira struggled hard to keep herself from tearing up. She wanted to get away from there. She had worked so hard to have the courage to face him and it all came crashing down with just one look. He had this hold on her mind and her emotions that she couldn't understand. Every time she tried to be tough, keeping her emotions at bay, he broke her down. She cared about him a lot more than she ever accepted of doing.

While Kira tried to regain her composure Gouenji struggled to do the same. She had left him completely confused. Her actions and her expressions seemed to contradict themselves. She would act like she had forgotten their past but her eyes would tell a different story. He didn't understand what to expect of her anymore. He felt hurt when she left him in a hurry not paying any heed to his insistent eyes and desperation in his voice. It made him feel like a fool to believe in her all this time and that made him angry. He regretted thinking that things could ever be the same as before. And here she is, looking at him with her big brown eyes, at the verge of tears, proving all of his conclusions wrong. Just what does this girl want?

While these two fought their inner battles, the rest of the world remained oblivious to their turmoil. All of this happened in a matter of seconds, all these thoughts rushed through their minds like a flood and no one could tell. They were good at masking their emotions from everyone except each other. Kira could tell what Gouenji was thinking as clear as if he told her himself and Gouenji could read Kira's thoughts like a book; but that was in the past and lately he was unable to decipher the meaning behind them and that frustrated him.

Kira decided to stay a little longer at the end of the day to talk to him and find out how he was feeling. She also thought it would be good to apologize for what she did at the Ball the other day. After everyone left, she walked up to him. He was just about to leave but he stopped when he saw Kira approaching.

"Umm...I just wanted to say...umm...that... I'm sorry for the other day when..." Kira tried to form a sentence that made sense but was cut short by Gouenji.

"Don't worry about it." He tried to brush it off and gave her a sad smile. Kira could easily tell his words meant nothing.

"You just don't understand..." She tried to say something in her defense.

"Just go." He interjected in a melancholic voice and left before she could say anything.

"What have I done!" She thought as she stood there motionless watching him go. 

A/N- I know this chapter's tiny but don't worry there's another chapter coming sooner than you expect. Please vote and comment.