Ding, ding. Round one.

The bell tolls and the games begin. Ana considers herself awkward at the best of times but she's making an extraordinary effort. It's not just what Kate wants. She wants it too. It's not about what she's missing or the things she hasn't done. It's about meeting someone to share things with; her achievements, their life and a future. Responsibility had always been the way of her life so she's not ready to relinquish it entirely. But she is ready to give a little and take a little, with the right person.

'Hi, how are you?
I'm great. It's lovely to meet you!
What do you do?
I'm a student. And you?
I'm in Finance. Kinda looking for someone who is over the student lifestyle. No offence.

Brutal

And honestly, she tries not to let it get to her. One doesn't want a student.
One thinks she's too young.
One doesn't say but from the way he ogles her breasts, with a look of mild disgust, she can make an educated guess. She isn't enough.

In her head she is beyond ready to sack this. Her life is too busy and she doesn't need this crap. Careless rejection, tailored to wound. As the bell rings again she seeks out Kate. Eyes pleading for Mercy, for release from this excruciating torture. But Kate is nothing if not merciless, shaking her head as new partners take their seats.

"Hi" Ana mumbles, her tone expressing the defeat she feels.
"Hi" she hears back; that short, simple word pulling her back.
She knows that tone, that voice. They've already encountered tonight. She casts her eyes up and sees the stranger from before.