Chapter 2: Dirty Little Secret

"Who has to know? When we live such fragile lives,  it's the best way we survive. I go around a time or two,  just to waste my time with you. Tell me all that you've thrown away, find out games you don't wanna play. You are the only one that needs to know.
I'll keep you my dirty little secret."

"Seán? Do we really have to keep us a secret?"
"Mark, please... We've talked about this."
"I just...I hate acting like we aren't together. I hate that you kept up the act with Signe."
Jack sighed, looking over at Mark, eyes filled with sadness, "You know how much I love you, and you know I would do anything for you, but I'm asking you to do this for me. You know my parents are against gay people, if we came out, I'd be disowned, and I wouldn't be able to handle that."
"They're thousands of miles away..."
"Mark."
"I know, I'm sorry. It's just...hard, y'know? Seeing all those cute pictures with her, saying she's your girlfriend and talking about how happy you are."
"I'm really talking about you."
"What..?"
"It may not be a picture of you and me, but you're the one I talk about. You're the sweet, beautiful, amazing one in all my captions. Not her. Yeah, I love her, but she's a friend. Only a friend. I'll always love you in a different way."
The two boys lay in silence for a moment,  staring up at the ceiling of their bedroom.
After what seemed like hours, but was only about a minute, Mark spoke up again, "Do you ever regret it?"
"Regret what?"
"Not leaving that day. The one at the airport?"
"Not for a second."
"You can do better, you know. You deserve better than me. You deserve Signe."
"I don't want Signe."
"You should. Everything would be so much easier for you. You wouldn't have to hide anything from your parents or our fans."
"Mark, listen to me," Jack sat up in bed, moving so he was laying on top of Mark's chest, "I love you. I love you, and only you. You're perfect and I could never want to be with anyone else. Even Signe draws fanart of us, Mark. We're meant to be."
"I love you too," He whispered in return, reaching his arms up and wrapping them around Jack, "I'm sorry."
"Don't be. I understand."
"I don't wanna lose you."
"I know. You won't."
"Good."