The First Kiss

The date ends with shared cotton candy and funnel cake under the stars. Harry has his Minnie, and Louis has his Mickey. They take a train back to Harry's house once they're finished with the carnival. It's nearing midnight so it's best if they head home. Louis is staying with Zayn for the weekend, and he remembers just that morning when there was a knock on the front door that dragged him from his movie marathon.

Louis had surprised him with a rose in hand. He had been nervous and giddy, confidence still there but it was obviously weaning with nerves. He had gone on and on about how adorable Harry is and how much he enjoys talking to him. Spent a solid couple minutes how he had been planning on this perfect thought for this weekend that it almost scared him not to do it. Zayn had to kick him in the butt to run over here just so he could finally ask Harry out on a date later in the evening.

Now, here they are. At the end of their first date, and it has been wonderful. Like a proper gentleman, Louis exits the cab with Harry and meets him on the sidewalk, grabbing his hand before heading up the path to the front door of his home. Once they reach it, they stop, turning to face one another. There is something that shifts in the air between them, and it has Harry's heart beating rapidly in his chest, as if in anticipation for something big to happen.

Louis looks at him and smiles, keeps a hand wrapped around his waist and pressing to the base of his spine. They step closer together, barely an inch of space in between them. Harry smiles at it. Has realized that Louis loves touching and being as close as possible to him. As if it's his need to breathe. It's wonderful to feel so wanted like that, especially by another boy.

"I really don't want this night to end." Harry pouts as he says it, slumping his side against the door. Louis chuckle as he cups the curve of his jaw, tilting his head so they're looking at one another. Before he even says anything, Harry's eyes narrow suspiciously. "You're about to pull a quote out, huh?"

"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise," Louis recites softly, just barely a whispered breath past his lips. It makes Harry's inside flutter, as they always do when they're looking at each other. It brings out a big smile across his face, one with dimples, and it only makes Louis' smile grow some more.

"You have a lovely smile," Harry ends up complimenting, feeling a rush of heat go to his nose. Louis squeezes his waist and yanks him closer, and for a moment, his breath catches in his throat. "I love seeing it," he tackles on.

His smile grows some more, so much that crinkles form by his eyes. The compliment must come as a surprise, because Louis shies away. Looks down at the ground bashfully and stares at his shoes, the way they scuff against the ground. Then he looks up, blinking through his eye lashes and meeting Harry's eyes. He steps closer, their bodies now touching at the waist. Harry's heart jitters in his chest, and a warmth spreads throughout him.

Then Louis moves his head closer, just an inch and angles up. Their noses brush together gently, just a soft touch, and Harry swallows nervously. He can feel Louis' warmth breath ghosting over his lips. They just stand there like that for a moment, and Harry's hand shakily comes out to grab a hold of his arm. He expects something to happen when his eyes slip shut, an unsteady breath pressing past his nose. But nothing seems to follow. He holds his breath, waiting. Anticipating for the press of Louis' lips, but it still lingers above his.

In all the romantic books that he reads, this is supposed to be the moment where the two main characters kiss. This is where everything comes together, and the kiss ignites a swarm of fireworks into the sky. He totally expected this to happen. He wanted it to happen, and now that it's not, he feels like a fool. They're so close. In each other's arms. He can feel Louis breathing on him, but he doesn't feel his lips. He's never kissed anyone before or ever been on a date, so maybe he set expectations too high. Maybe he's stuck in a fictional fantasy of romance that is not realistic.