Chapter 3: Dress to Impress

7/4/16

That night laying in bed, all I could think about was Kurt. I even had dreams about him, replaying him kissing me in my head over and over and over again. He truly was a sight to behold. Every inch of him is beautiful. When I woke up the next morning Willow pestered me with questions about my walk with him, so I piled it onto her, and she listened, wide eyed with a smile plastered on her face.

"Go down to breakfast and find him!" she instructed me. Without a second thought, I got ready and headed down to the dining hall. After picking up some fresh fruit and a bagel, I spotted Kurt sitting alone eating oatmeal at a table, holding his Bible up in front of him with his tail. With a slight pip in my step I began to walk over to him. The closer I got, the faster and harder my heart beat. Crazy how one night can change you. My face fell when a boy I recognized as Scott Summers sat down with his tray in front of Kurt, who tore his eyes away and closed his Bible to talk to him. As I turned away Scott saw me. Figures.

"Aspen!" he called, earning a sharp intake of breath from me as I stumbled. I almost dropped my food but by the grace of God they remained on my tray. But to my horror, when I turned around, Kurt was watching. He and Scott laughed to themselves and beckoned me over. I was conveniently already on the side of the table Kurt was on, and sat down next to him, carefully. He smiled shyly and I returned the favor. Scott held his head in his hands, elbows resting on the table, staring at me.

"I have heard all about you, Aspen Rae Beckett."

"Oh?" I said, and glanced at Kurt, who was blushing a deep violet.

"Kurt here would not shut up about you last night. Kept me up for hours, so I'm delighted to put a face to the name. I'd like to say I know just about everything there is to know about your date last ni-"

"Date?" I cut him off. Upon realizing this, I cleared my throat. "That was a date, Kurt?" I turned to him. He was slack jawed in embarrassment.

"Well I hoped it was.." he managed to get out, "I'm sorry I should have made that clear."

"No, don't be sorry," I replied, "I'm glad it was, actually." I smiled at him and he seemed to relax a little. Well, maybe a lot. He curled his tail around me and pulled me closer, which made Scott grin mischievously.

"I guess," he snickered, picking up his tray and standing up, "I'll leave you two lovebirds alone."

We watched him go and Kurt turned to me. He took my hands in his and looked into my eyes. He was so beautiful I wanted to cry.

"Frauline." he started. "I was wondering if perhaps, uh, I could take you to get a nice dinner sometime."

"As another date?"

"Yes! Yes, another date."

"I'd love that, Kurt."

His eyes lit up like the night before and he grinned wide, showing me all his fangs. I saw his tail swishing deightfully behind him and he squeezed my hands tighter. Oh my God he was so adorable.

"Can I pick you up at your room tonight at 7?"

"Absolutely."

"Good. I'll see you tonight then. Don't be late! I don't know if I can wait even that long."

•••

I returned to my room and found Willow asleep again. I wanted to let her get all the rest she needed because I didn't know when she came back the night before, but I sincerely could not contain my joy. I shook her awake and told her Kurt asked me on another date that night, and she snapped fully awake as I explained what happened downstairs.

"Oh my gosh what are you going to wear? Can I help you get ready?"

Every buzz in my head, every spinning gear and working machine inside of me stopped. I didn't have anything to wear on a formal date. Willow read my expression. She got up, fixed her hair and changed, then said, "Come with me."

She led me to the garage and we got in her car and sped off to the local mall. We were laughing about Professor X's freshly bald head when we walked in front of Men's Warehouse and something blue caught my eye. My neck snapped to look inside and by golly it was Kurt. And Scott. And Peter. I hid behind Willow but it was too late. Peter had spotted me. He snickered and continued whatever he was doing, but I knew it wouldn't be that simple. Willow and I rushed ahead to a dress shop a couple stores down.

All the dresses were beautiful, but unfortunately, my self esteem is low. I didn't think I could pull off some of the more vibrant colors, so I spotted a pretty black one. It was a sleeveless a-line with mesh around the neck and upper chest, ending just below the knees. It looked perfect, to me at least. That was when I heard a voice over my shoulder.

"That one's nice, but Kurt would go absolutely insane if you wore that one." Peter whispered to me, pointing ahead and slightly to the right. I turned to thank him but he was already gone. I walked over to find it in my size. This dress was navy blue, with 3/4 sleeves and a v neck. The torso was tight but the bottom was loose like a poodle skirt, ending just above the knees. I took Peter's word and tried it on to be sure. Willow stood and clapped with glee when I came out of the dressing room, ecstatic about how perfect it was to her. I only hoped Kurt would feel the same.

I bought the dress and we walked out. Upon passing Men's Warehouse again, I made eye contact with Peter. He winked and gave me a thumbs up. I smiled and looked past him to see Kurt in smoothing down a full black suit on himself as Scott clapped him on the back.

Willow and I returned to our room and began to get me ready. I put a silky black bra on with a lace trim and matching underwear. To ensure symmetry, Willow insisted she do my makeup. I let her but made sure to tell her not to make it too flashy. I wanted Kurt to recognize me. Willow was styling my hair into a 1950's ponytail when a flash of silver hair appeared in my peripherals.

"How's it co- wow." Peter's jaw dropped and I felt the heat rise to my face as I smiled embarrassedly.

"Kurt will go mad when he sees you." he said.

"I sure hope so." I replied.

We were ready half an hour early so I sat and talked with Willow and Peter, who couldn't take his eyes off me...