#25 - Bright stars (pt. I)

March 16th, 7AM

I woke up half an hour before the alarm clock could ring as gently as a sergeant to wake up a soldier. I could even imagine it yelling something like "get your lazy ass outta bed!".
I knew that day was an important one, but I was still a bit dizzy so I really couldn't figure out why. The more I thought about it, the less could I remember.

"Morning, [Name]!!!"
My heart jumped in my chest when an unexpectedly cheerful Yachi jumped outta her bed. This is how my brain was fully awaken and my ass nearly dropped out of the blankets.

"Morning... Ne, why are you so cheerful?" I hummed at her.
She nearly froze in puzzlement and glanced at me with her hazel eyes wide open as if they were about to bolt out of her cranium like crazy bullets.
Just then, I had a look at the elegant sky blue dress hanging in her open wardrobe and I almost fell off my bed again.
Jeez, even my brother, the king of dorks, would have mocked me!

I ran into the bathroom, got washed and changed at the speed of light while Yachi was trying to show me her enthusiasm about going to the ball with Hinata.
Poor Yacchan had just the time to see me rush down the stairs trying to tie one of my shoes in the meantime.
I still don't know how I managed to do that.

Kuroo, Kenma and Noya were staring and gaping at me, still holding their spoons halfway to their mouths.
I had been caught by a fierce hunger attack and I was literally swallowing my breakfast - and, I have to admit, half of Noya's too - without even chewing it or taking pauses to speak with my friends.
I looked like a cat that hasn't been eating since forever.
"Bye guys, see you later!" I mumbled then, rushing outside the cafeteria.

Koushi was nowhere to be found.
He wasn't training with his team in the gym and neither he was outside. I tried to call him on his phone, but no answer came.

Well, he's just gonna lose then.

*Long Time Skip*

10PM, outside of Nekoma High

Quite an original idea, to hold a ball on the grass outside the school. There were plenty of stands with good food and beverages to eat and drink in company, but my mind was focused on other things.

"NOWHERE!" I yelled just beside poor Noya's face.
I was freaking out in my [fave colour] elegant dress. Yes, I was wearing the dress for the ball. Everybody was.
And everybody was holding hands with the one who was supposed to go to the ball with. I was the only one who wasn't.
Everybody was having a drink or gazing at the sky with someone, I wasn't.

Noya and Tanaka were both going with Kiyoko and I was alone.
What a shame.

"HE'S NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!"
"[Nickname], are you sure you don't wanna join us?" Noya awkwardly asked.
I glared at him and he got to turn to Kiyoko. Then he looked at me again and I nodded. Yeah, at least he understood I hadn't the faintest intention to spend the night in a group with her.
But, more important, I didn't wanna go to the ball without Koushi and not just because I didn't wanna go alone. I swear I'd have rejected anyone, if he was to ask me out in that very moment.

I waited a bit more, but then I had no choice but get away.
You're probably thinking I did wrong, but I had no intention to stand there in my high heels in such an awkward way. Neither I wanted to disturb one of my friends, since they all appeared to be having a great time.
Good thing Kuroo was teasing Kiriya, so she had no time to laugh at me. Noya and Tanaka were standing at each side of Kiyoko's just like bodyguards and growling at anyone who stared at her - which caused the poor girl to blush. Yachi and Hinata were chatting and looking adorable.
Daichi was holding an arm around Michimiya's shoulders and even Asahi and Kenma, who were probably the most timid people I knew, were with girls.

Jeez, even my brother had managed to ask somebody out - even though the girl seemed to be about to flee when he tried to smile at her.

I sighed and turned away.
The fresh air of that March evening was waving through my hair curled for the occasion but it was useless so I paid no mind to them being messed up by the wind.
I stopped next to the gym and took off my high heels, since my feet were starting to ache and started walking alone on the grass of the courtyard of Nekoma High.
I was getting bored since I neither had my phone to listen to some music, since it had gone dead some time before.
The moon was high and I stared at its pale face hiding behind a cloud for a while before lowering my eyes and sit onto the ground.

Could have been a bunch of seconds, ten minutes or two and a half hours later when I heard the muffled noise of some footsteps on the grass.
When I turned to have a look, that person was standing beside me and offering a hand to get me up.

"Why are you here all alone?"

~~~●••●••●~~~

Hey there! *smiles awkwardly* 😆
I'm terribly sorry for not having the story updated on Friday but I had my last exam the day after and I was incredibly tired so... I know I'm a terrible person but please forgive this shortie with rebel hair 😢

Anyway, this is chapter 25 and it means we're very close to the end... are you sad? No? 😮
If you are - even just a little bit - don't worry because I'm working on my next Haikyuu long story... I think I'm gonna write Noya x reader first!

Don't forget to vote and comment to support me!
Shiri-Chan96 ❤❤