[3] Family is Everything

Dixie was a wreck, figuratively. She wanted everything to be perfect and yet nothing seemed to be up to her standards. The food seemed bland, every outfit didn't seem right, and there seemed to be endless things to clean at her apartment. She knew she was being unreasonable, and that Micah wouldn't care about any of that, but a small part of her brain wouldn't let it go.

"Are you sure this is okay?" Dixie shuffled nervously, pulling down the hem of her dress. She looked herself once over in the mirror before turning to look at Mel who she had video called amidst her panic.

"Yes, for the fifth time, you look amazing. Stop worrying and relax." Mel chided tiredly. Dixie felt bad for keeping her up when she was tired and decided she'd take her advice for once.

"Okay, I will. Why don't you go get some sleep? You look exhausted." Dixie gently replied, not wanting to upset her friend.

"I am girl, Mia has been killing me. Text me tomorrow to tell me how it went?" Mel added.

Dixie chuckled and nodded, "Of course. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

Mel smiled and bid her a goodbye before the call ended. Dixie released a heavy breath before the doorbell chimed throughout the empty halls of her apartment. Dixie's eyes widen before her eyes whipped to the alarm clock on her nightstand.

"Shit." She cursed before pacing towards the entrance. Reaching the door, she paused quickly, fixing her dress and hair at the last second. Seemingly content with her attire she turned to the door and opened it quickly.

"Hey." Dixie smiled and greeted Micah who returned her smile with one of his own.

"Hello. I know I'm early; I hope that's okay." Micah replied.

"Of course, it is! Come in." Dixie invited him in and moved aside for him to step through the doorway. He entered the small hallway and to her amusement began taking his shoes off like she had everyone do before they entered further. He had remembered as he'd been there a few times before.

"You didn't have to but thank you." Dixie added, before leading him towards the kitchen. "I made steak for dinner."

"My favorite." Micah added with a hum.

"I know." Dixie said, without thinking. She paused when she realized what she'd said.

Micah pretended he hadn't heard her and hid the smile that was threatening to take over. "Need help with anything?" He asked instead.

"No everything is pretty much done." Dixie replied nervously.

Entering her spacious dining room Micas was assaulted by the mouthwatering scent that hung in the air. It'd been a very long time since he'd had a home cooked meal. He practically lived off of diner food and fast food restaurants.

"Are the boys here?" He asked, glancing around after noticing her apartment was eerily quiet.

"Ah, no." Dixie chuckled, "They wanted to be here believe me, but I figured our first date should be just us."

Micah stopped in his tracks with a slightly agape expression. His heart almost began having palpitations.

"Date?" Micah repeated hesitantly. Hoping he'd heard her right and that she wouldn't correct herself like she always used to do.

He watched as Dixie stiffened but relaxed almost immediately almost like she'd realized something. She turned to look at him before nodding and affirming what had been said. "Yes, this is a date. Unless you don't want that..."