Chapter Thirteen - The Last Sacrifice

Start from the beginning

“There's no need to apologize,” Hart said as he ran over to him and helped him walk back inside the house. “Do you have any idea what made you sick?”

Riley shook his head.

“There's no medicine either, I checked.”

Hart never kept any medicine because he didn't need it. He should have realized with a hum–with Riley, that he would need it badly. Riley wasn't like Hart, he could get sick, he could get hurt, and he wouldn't heal in a matter of seconds.

“I'll go to town and get you some medicine,” Hart told him as he looked around for his car keys, when he suddenly heard the clinging of his keys. Riley had them around his index finger, spinning them as he stared at Hart slyly.

“I'll get them.”

“No, you stay here and rest.” Hart tried to snatch the keys away but Riley pulled back, making Hart dumbly chase after them.

“You need to prepare for your kill,” Riley said. “So finish your cross, set your traps, do whatever it is you're going to do for tonight. I'm sure it will take energy to bring your mother back, so don't worry about me. You can trust me, you know that.”

Hart made a displeased face as he brushed his fingers over Riley's cheekbones.

“I know I can trust you, that's not the problem. The problem is that you're sick and you need to rest if you want to get better. Going to town might make you worse. And what if someone recognizes you? Word will spread fast in a small town like Bellumstone. And I can't stop it if it happens.”

“No one will recognize me, and I'll be fine,” Riley reassured him softly, flashing a wide set of teeth.

Hart eventually agreed on letting Riley go. He was too busy trying to prepare for the night, he couldn't risk losing time by going to town. All he did was tell Riley to be safe, stay out of sight and return as soon as possible. With him he took some cash, his dagger, and Hart's car. Then he was alone, awaiting the instructions.

The light in the house slowly faded, as if the sun rapidly set and the moon took its place, but that wasn't what was truly happening. All source of light got sucked into the darkness appearing everywhere, and then he was in complete darkness and no longer alone.

Is it ready?

“It's ready, mother,” Hart said to the dark, shapeless figure behind him.

Where is the girl?

“On her way.”

You're positive?

“Yes, Seraphina did her job. The girl knows where I am, she'll find me.”

Tonight then?

“Tonight.”

Good. I'll be waiting.

Hart's mother vanished into the shadows, bringing the darkness back with her and letting the sunlight back into the house. He took deep breaths, calming himself before he went back to work. The cross was splashed with dark powder after the needles were finished. He chanted words in the language of death, speaking directly at the wood that made up the religious cross, then it was complete.

The sky was darkening now, meaning it was time for the last sacrifice to begin.

Hart had waited for this moment for so long, and now after a whole year, she was finally standing in front of him. She was wearing black high waist shorts, outdoor boots and a white tank top under a black jacket. Her expression was exactly what he was looking for; fear.