"Ann," Chef Arnold called a couple dull hours later. "Your shift is over!"

I shot a glance out the window. The sky was turning orange. Sunset. I had only one stipulation when taking a job; I would not work before sunrise or after sunset. I swiftly collected the last of my tips and slipped into the back to clock out.

"Here, Hun," Chef Arnold murmured, pressing a boxed meal into my hands. He does this at the end of every shift. We were allotted one free meal and Chef Arnold always made sure I got mine. It took me some time to realize it was because I was... not skinny but bony.

I did not have much meat on my bones. My cheeks were slightly sunken into my face, the skin tightened over the rises of the bones. You could count my ribs if I lifted my shirt, my stomach almost curving in instead of being flat or bulging. Chef Arnold thought me to be, I think the word is anorexic.

I wasn't. But for years my body had to survive on scraps, getting a small morsel of food once a week, if that. I was better now, I could stomach the blander foods that humans made. They spiced everything. I ate almost ever other day as well.

I said nothing of this to the Chef, his eyes kind and always slightly worried. I simply nodded and hurried out the diner, grabbing my bag on the way out. I released a breath with the chilled air hit my skin. I had to resist the urge to look over my shoulder at the setting sun. It always felt like a race to me, the sun always eager to close that gap between it and the horizon. I gave in every third or fourth step, each time worry gnawed on my stomach and causing my steps to quicken until I was almost running to the shabby motel that I'd been staying at. It was hard to keep my speed in check. Humans were slow, though I was unusually fast for one of my kind, weak as I was.

My heart bangs against my chest, the fear that was always there started to seep into my blood. Finally, I reached the motel. It had a total of three rooms. One belonged to the owner and her husband. One sat vacant. The last room was occupied by me. Room Two separated the owner and me, done by my intention. I was not keen on sharing walls.

I deftly pulled out my key and shoved it into the lock. I threw the door open and flipped on the light. A quick scan and cursory sniff confirmed no one but myself had been here. I stepped inside and sealed the door against the fading light. I relocked the door despite how little it would do against him. I dropped to the floor the check the duffle bag that sat there. I pulled out a wrinkled plastic bag filled with crumpled bills and an assortment of change. I dropped the days tips into it. My emergency money. My meager pay check just barely covered the room charge for the motel, and since food wasn't too big of a priority, my tips went to my small savings.

I returned the plastic bag and lifted the duffle onto my shoulder, stopping only to put the boxed meal from Chef Arnold in the mini-fridge. The two tiny shelves were crammed with similar boxes. I grabbed the oldest of the boxes and tossed them in the trash. The familiar pang of guilt struck over the waste but I simply couldn't eat it all.

I switched on the large, outdated television. The local news flickered onto the screen, a line of static shooting across the screen every few seconds. It was already set to the lowest volume so it was easy to fade the tiny weatherman into background noise.

I stiffly sat on the couch and pulled out my map. It was folded down to the size of a napkin but after a few unfolds it nearly consumed the rickety wood coffee table. Time to pick a new town. I'd been here too long. I enjoyed the calm, grown almost fond of Chef Arnold. Still, if I did not leave soon he would find me and it was not worth the risk, not to myself nor the humans here.

What was funny was I didn't even know he was looking at first. It didn't take long to realize that not only was he looking, he had the resources and connections to find me if I slipped up even the slightest. That first town after I... left I had used my original name. He'd nearly caught so soon after my escape. It wasn't the only close call. Anytime I got comfortable, anytime I began to feel safe, he was show up.