13 - bad girls do it well

Start from the beginning

"Harper right? Caldwell?" The girl asks. I nod, surprised.

"I'm Angelica. This is Ethan. I was sitting front row at Salima's show; you were great."

Me? I was great? These strangers know my name?

"Wow, thanks," I give a small smile.

"No, problem. I'll see you around," Angelica says to both Holden and I before walking off.

"Wow," Holden says, nodding with raised eyebrows as we take a seat on one of the couches. "I guess you really don't need me, Ms. Popular." He's chuckling but I can't bring myself to laugh at any of the previous events tonight, or even give a fake smile.

Holden's face solmens up after seeing my blank response and he clears his throat awkwardly.

"Um, I'm going to get us some drinks," he says after a few seconds of silence, minus the pounding music and indistinct voices of club goers.

"That's okay, I don't want one," I respond instantly.

"Just one drink. It'll loosen you up."

"It's just one drink," Scott says, pouring a considerably tall glass of red wine. "Its fine my mom drinks this stuff after work all the time. It'll make you feel better."

"Okay," I sighed, taking the glass and downing the contents in less than a minute.

Ryan laughs and throws me a can of beer which I almost don't catch. "Drink that; it's way better."

I eye the two boys reluctantly, and Scott nods for me to go on.

I open it and take a sip, grimacing as I swallow. "It's terrible," I whine and Scott laughs.

"Look, if you can't handle a can of beer and a glass of wine, than you can't handle hanging out with us and doing the things we do," Ryan says more seriously.

"Yes I can," I frown, protesting.

"Then drink it. Do you want us to help you forget, or not?"

"Fine," I tell Holden with a small sigh.

"What do you want?" He asks and I shrug, looking up at him. I don't know how to order drinks, I just know how to water them down or drink them straight.

Holden smiles. "That's okay, I'll find something you'll like," He says standing up.

"Wait," I say, grabbing his wrist while still in my seat. "You're just gonna leave me here?"

I feel like a child. I feel vulnerable and unsafe after earlier. I don't want to be alone, especially not in this environment.

Something flashes in Holden's eyes that I've never seen before. "I'll be right back. Have fun. Talk to Angelica."

"You're just leaving me here?" I ask incredously, tears blurring my vision.

"We'll be right back. Youre in good company," mom says.

"Its only gor a few hours," my dad adds.

"Every day," I scoff.

"Not every day--"

"Most days," I correct angrily.

My mom sighs. "Youre all we have left, we don't want to lose you too. We love you. Our biggest mistake was not havin you see someome as soon as..." she trails off and I look away. "You can't go on like this. You have to learn how to cope in the right way."