Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Alexis got home from studying at the library and saw Rick on the couch, looking at the engagement ring in his hand. "Dad, why are you holding Kate's ring?" She asked. Did they break up? But why? She thought. She was upset. Even though her and Kate had their differences, she knew that she was a good person and since her dad was happy, she was happy. But what could have happened to make them break up after everything they had been through? She thought. "Hey pumpkin. How was your day?" "Dad, stop stalling. What happened between you and Kate?" "Uh, um, well, I, uh." He was struggling to get the words out. "What did you do?" She asked in a stern voice. "I cheated on her. I'm surprised you haven't read the paper." "You what?" She said, hoping she had heard him wrong. "I cheated on her okay?" He shouted. "I'm not proud of it. I just want her back. I miss her so much. I love her. She's the only one for me. I made a mistake. I was stupid to let Gina get inside my head." "Why would you do this?" Rick sighed. He could see Alexis was disappointed. Of course she was. She had every right to be. He thought. "She told me she wanted another chance and that she wanted to start over." "Oh so that makes it okay?" Alexis said, with a sarcastic tone, also getting angry at her father. "No it doesn't. I told you I made a mistake!" He said. Alexis rolled her eyes and headed into her bedroom. After taking off her makeup and changing into comfy clothes, she took out her phone and sent Kate a text 'hope you're okay. If you need anything let me know. I'm so mad at my dad for what he did. I'm really sorry about all of this.' 'Thanks Alexis but you don't need to apologize for your father's actions.' 'I know I just feel bad about all of this.' Just as Kate was about to reply, she ran into the bathroom and got sick again. "Katie, are you okay?" Jim asked standing outside of the door. "Yeah dad, I'm fine. I think I just have the stomach bug." She said lying. 'I can't be pregnant. He has moved on to another girl and he cheated on me. What am I supposed to do? So if I were to be pregnant...' She thought about all of the different scenarios in her head and then she thought, 'I just need to find out tomorrow.'

The next day Kate woke up to see Jim on the couch reading the newspaper. "Good morning, Katie. How'd you sleep?" "Not great. Had a lot on my mind." She said, getting up from the bed. "I hope you don't mind. I ordered some room service." He said. "Not at all." All she ate was toast. She wasn't that hungry. "Alright well, I'm going to see Rick. Take my credit card and check out of the hotel and then you can go back to my house. Okay?" She just nodded. She didn't know what she would have done without him. Before he left, she said, "thanks for being here for me daddy." "No place I'd rather be. I love you." He said and kissed her forehead. Jim knocked on Rick's door. "Hey Jim. How is she?" "How do you think? She is a mess because of you. It's all your fault. How could you do this to my little girl? She loved you so much and this is what she gets in return?!" "Jim I'm so sorry. I miss her so much. I made a huge mistake. I really regret what I did. She is an amazing woman and I love her so much. I would do anything to get her back." "I don't believe anything you just said. But you're right about one thing, she is amazing. You never deserved her." And with that he left. Meanwhile, while Jim was with Rick, Kate went to the store to get a pregnancy test. She got back to Jim's house before he did. The second she got back, she went into the bathroom. She just needed to know. "Okay so in 5 minutes, I'll know." Those 5 minutes felt like hours. Two lines. Positive. She was indeed pregnant. "Oh my god. I'm pregnant." She didn't know what to do. She didn't know if she should tell him or not. He had moved on to Gina. He didn't want her anymore, or so she thought. Later that night, Jim could tell something was wrong besides Rick cheating on her. "Katie is there something on your mind?" "Um, uh, I'm," she took a deep breath, "I'm pregnant." Jim was shocked. "You are?" "Yeah but I made an appointment for tomorrow just to make sure. I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I should tell him or not." "Listen to me Katie, I'm going to be here for you every step of the way. Whatever you decide, I'll support you." He pulled his daughter in to a hug and she rested her head on his shoulder. "Thanks dad."