CHAPTER 18 - AT THE PALACE (Part One)

At long last, the moment had come to finish Ghyll's quest. Relief and nervousness competed for primacy in his voice when he ordered the horses to be brought; lame leg or not, he was in the saddle first of them all. His eyes wandered around the market and all at once, he felt small. The buildings in the capital were so darn large. Their inn was a majestic building that everywhere else could be mistaken for a palace, even though here it was one of the smaller dwellings surrounding the market. The square itself was huge, bigger even than Tinnurad's island, surrounded by aristocratic town houses and filled with hundreds of market stalls. To the north stood the temple of Dragos, God of Law and Wisdom, with its two high towers and shimmering green roofs. On the southern side was the Comitial Palace, where the Civic Count and its officials resided. Right opposite the inn began a long avenue lined with beech trees, which led to the Royal Palace.

Around the square were eight monumental fountains, one for each Temple Order. At each fountain stood or sat the bronze deities of that Order. Even the Gray Temple was represented with a gloomy statue of Arikal, looking like a gaunt man with a tattered robe, a great flapping hat and long hair in a ponytail. He stood leaning on his staff, staring at the crowds.

'It's very lifelike,' Uwella said, almost whispering. 'I've seen Arikal once and this is him.'

Very slowly, they wove their way through the crowd to the other side of the square and rode towards the palace, glistening in the sunlight. Ghyll's heart began to beat faster. There lived the last person on Uncle Jadron's list. At the start of their journey, he'd had no idea who all these people might be; nor had the name Garender Duke Kyssander rung a bell with him. Only later it dawned on him that this Kyssander was none other than His Grace the Regent, who ruled Rhidauna in the King's absence.

Ghyll had no idea how to reach the most powerful man in the kingdom. Eventually the Companions decided that they would just go to the palace and bluff their way inside.

In that mood, they approached the massive gates, which opened onto a huge white building. With its crenellated towers and walls, waving banners, and armored knights at the door, it was a picture out of a children's tale.

Two of those knights halted them with crossed lances.

'You wish?' the bigger of the two said from underneath his huge, royal blue helmet plumes.

Olle sat upright in the saddle. 'My lord, the Baron Halwyrd, requests an audience with the regent.'

'One moment, my lord Baron,' the knight said, while he sent a squire inside. It took quite a while, but finally a richly dressed courtier appeared. His whole attitude radiated disdain, and in a flash Ghyll understood that the man had let them wait deliberately.

'Baron Halwyrd?' the courtier said.

Ghyll nodded briefly.

'I am sorry, Baron, but his grace will not receive today. You will have to make an appointment through the lord steward's office. With luck, his secretary can fit you in for someday next month.'

Ghyll's face turned red. 'Next month? I can't wait that long. Please tell the steward that I am here and that I would like to have a word with him.'

'The lord steward is a very busy man, Baron. I cannot bother him for every trifle.'

'Trifle! That's not for you to judge. I'm on official business. Go and tell the lord steward I am here.'

'I cannot do that, sir,' the arrogant courtier said.

At that moment, an elderly mage on a piebald horse rode up to them. 'What's the problem, Ambross?'

The courtier turned and bowed. 'Magister Barleym, good afternoon. This gentleman demands an audience with the regent, magister. Without an appointment! He says his name is Halwyrd.'