Chapter 2. The Void

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Two months after Judy's nightmare, they got a call from Bogo. Last night over 20 mammals went missing, but did get a 911 call from someone who evaded capture from this abductor.
"I guess we better get down to ZPD, huh carrots?" Nick said as he was pouring them a cup of coffee.
"Yeah, I guess Bogo is handling all the calls and the press." Judy replied. Nick was waiting for Judy to finish getting ready, so he reached into his pocket. "What would be the perfect place to ask her?" he thought to himself. Just then, Judy came out in her uniform.
"Ready?" she asked.
"Yeah, I'm ready." He answered, as they went out the door and into their patrol car.
After a few minutes, they pulled into the parking lot of the ZPD. Once inside they went to the room that their witness was in. His name is Jake Fangford, an otter that was quick enough to evade capture, was describing his would be abductor. "It wasn't any mammal I have ever seen before, his skin was hard and cold. He was tall, very tall, and I kept hearing this weird hissing sound." He said nervously.
"It's all right, Jake. Can you tell us what he used to try and ensnare you with?" the officer asked.
"It must have been a long, thick rope or something? It tried to put me in a dark van, but I did get a quick look at one of his eyes, it was milky white and had a scar on the same side where the milky eye was." Jake said, still shaken up about all this. Nick and Judy were baffled by Jakes description of this mysterious animal.
"What do you think it could be, Nick?" Judy asked while she stood next to him behind the one-way glass.
"I don't know, carrots. But whatever it is, it doesn't sound like a very large suspect." Nick replied.
"Jake, how large would you say this.....thing, is?" the officer asked.
"I'd say, medium to large in height." He replied. Just then, Bogo came into the room.
"Okay, we are done here. Officers McHorn and Leo will escort you home. Thank you for your time, Jake." Bogo said. Jake nodded and proceeded out of the ZPD and was escorted in McHorns' vehicle.
"Hey chief?" Nick asked unexpectedly.
"Yes, Nick?" he answered.
"What do you think of Jakes description of this.....thing?" Nick asked while thinking of possible animal suspects in his description.
"Honestly, I don't know. But I put both McHorn and Leo on house watch, they will report any movement outside Jakes house. In the meantime, run his description through the database for any possibilities." Bogo said as he handed both Nick and Judy over thirty folders.
"Sir, this morning you said twenty missing mammals?" Judy said.
"The numbers are growing. If we don't catch this abductor, by tomorrow we'll be looking at possibly fifty missing." He replied, and motioned for them to get to their desks and run possible matches.

It had been over two and a half hours when they looked at the time, it was almost 5:30pm. "Did you get any matches, Judy?" Nick asked as he stretched.
"Nothing, I even crossed anyone that recently got out of prison in the past year and still nothing." She replied feeling frustrated."Did you find anything, Nick?" she then asked.
"No, but I did put all the missing mammals into the system." He replied.
"Is there anywhere he visited more frequently?" she asked.
"Yes and no, in fact he visited everywhere throughout Zootopia, the weird thing is every place a mammal went missing is an even number. Ten from each district." He said with a puzzling look on his face.
"Probably so that he is harder to track or to possibly predict where he may strike next?" Judy said.
"But the victims are completely different, it's a complete mix of predator and prey, all sizing in from lions to sheep, leopards to an almost abducted otter? It just doesn't make any sense?" He said, and both exchanged questions and answers between them for the next few hours.

That morning, Judy woke to find that both she and Nick fell asleep at their desks, she rubbed her eyes, stretched, and looked at the time, it was only a couple minutes past eight. She then walked over to Nick who was still out like a light and softly nudged him. "Nick. Nick?" she whispered, and Nick slowly opened his eyes.
"Wha.....what time is it?" he asked as he stretched his arms around Judy's waist.
"It's a little past eight." Judy answered.
"Pm?" he added.
"Am. We accidentally fell asleep at our desks, Nick." Judy answered. He had this weird look on his face, like he was waiting for her to laugh or something like she was joking.
"You're serious, aren't you?" nick asked. Judy nodded.
"I'm going to see if McHorn reported anything last night." Judy said and headed over to Bogos office, but returned a few minutes later."All quiet at jakes establishment, but they are scheduled for switching watch shifts with a couple other officers." Judy said.

After a couple of hours, Nick and Judy were falling asleep again, Judy then took in a deep breath. "Do you want some coffee at 'Tundra Bros.'?" she asked.
"Sure, can you get me a double shot expresso or something sweet?" Nick asked, still groggy from last night. Judy then grabbed her coat and proceeded out of the ZPD. She thought that a good walk and a bit of fresh air would help wake her up, and proceeded down the sidewalk. After walking a couple of blocks or so, she began to feel like she was being watched. Looking all around to try and see if someone was, but saw no one suspicious in any direction, just the usual morning crowd and traffic, and continued on her path. Suddenly, she heard something down an alley on her left, with caution she began walking slowly down the alley. The sound was dim, but was growing louder with each step she took. Then silence. She looked all around but saw nothing, holstering her weapon and began to leave the ally. But before she could exit the alley, she was suddenly gagged, hooded, and thrown in the back of a vehicle that she didn't see. There was however, a strange sound she seemed to remember hearing though, a hissing-like sound, then she smelled something inside the vehicle. "Gas!" she thought. Then the room felt like it was spinning, she felt dizzy and sank into unconsciousness.