Chapter 20. Ghosts and Dreams

They opened the blinds to let the light in from the setting sun, but then fell into chaos when the ZPD discovered some of their comrades were missing! "Where did they go?" one of them said as the entire floor erupted in confusion and panic. Just then the power, and the lights came back on, and almost immediately the emergency phones started ringing like crazy! Almost every single one of them was for another missing mammal. Some of them just disappeared, almost like they were just ghosts or they were never there. One of the calls they got was from the power company, and explained that the blackout affected all of Zootopia. The power generators and equipment just died suddenly, it was so powerful that it almost shut off the climate control walls.
"What do you think happened, carrots?" Nick asked with a concerned look on his face.
"I don't know, but I'm pretty sure Jeremiah is behind this!" she stated and began to clench her fists.

After it grew dark, Bogo sent Judy and Nick home so the night crew could get all this sorted out for tomorrow. They got in their car and began to drive home, but neither of them spoke or wanted to speak, until.....
"Don't look now, carrots. But I think we're being followed." Nick said calmly. Judy then adjusted the rearview mirror so it wouldn't alert their stalker.
"A dark vehicle, with bright lights and tinted windows. I can't see who is driving it." Judy stated with disappointment. It followed them at every turn, every light, and every intersection they came to and went through, until they turned down their street and the car didn't follow them.
"I think we're getting too paranoid over this case, carrots." He stated with a smile.
"Well, it has been a couple of stressful and eventful days." She replied with a slight giggle as they pulled up to their residence, and began to walk to their door.
"Wait....." he suddenly said as he stopped and stuck his arm out to stop Judy.
"What is it, Nick?" she asked when she saw his concerned yet ready look and stance.
"I thought I locked the door before we left." He answered as he drew his weapon, making Judy look over at the door to see that it was open just a crack, and she did the same. He slowly opened the door all the way, revealing that it was completely dark, like someone had turned off all the lights. He reached in and attempted to flip a light switch just inside the doorway, but nothing happened. "I guess we'll have to do this the hard way." He said as he got out his flashlight and went in first, before Judy did the same and followed. They walked through the hallway leading towards the bedroom, but was clear. The bathroom, living room, kitchen, and bedroom were all clear, and nothing of theirs had seemed to be disturbed or missing. Their drawers were still intact and didn't look as if they had been rummaged through.
"Everything's clear, Nick. But why wont the lights work?" she asked with a puzzling expression on her face, and holstered her weapon.
"I don't know, Judy. I'll go check the outside fuse box." He answered as he holstered his weapon and began walking towards the front door. Judy began to look around the kitchen and saw that nothing was out of place, the knives, silverware, and plates haven't been touched. Then she noticed the book that Mr. Big gave her and saw that the leather cloth that it was originally wrapped in, was laying wide open like someone had been reading it.
"I thought I wrapped that back up and hid it?" she thought to herself as she reached over to close it. Suddenly, Nick came flying back inside, startling her and making her turned around, while he hit the wall hard with his back, and fell to the floor with a load *thud!*! Just then a figure walked in with a pole drawn as his weapon, Nick stood up and tried reaching for his gun, but had it knocked from his hands and was hit in the head with the intruders pole! Nick was knocked unconscious and she tried reaching for her weapon, but the intruder struck her across her face and threw her on the table, pinning her down by her throat! The light above them came on, revealing that this figure was covered in black armor, with the serpents head insignia in his chest. She tried to struggle, but couldn't due to his steel grip on her throat, and felt like it was made of metal. One hand held her down by the neck, while the other was hidden behind its back. Judy then heard it speak in a tone that was both deep and metallic, and it almost sounded exactly like White, but only this tone was deeper, and she didn't quite catch what it said.
"w-what did you say?" she asked as she tried loosening his grip around her neck again.
"Jeremiah sends his regard's!" He said louder and revealed what he was holding behind him, it was a dagger! She now froze in fear, not because she was scared of this metallic creature, but because she had seen this before.....she had seen it in a dream! And he raised it above his head and plunged it straight down at her chest, she closed her eyes just before the impact and nothing but darkness was all she could see!