[05] Meet the Captain

Chapter 5: Meet the Captain

***

The next day I woke to find my knee swollen and throbbing. I couldn’t stand. Seeing this, Dad told me to stay home for the day. Obviously I didn’t mind one bit. However, Ayumi kept complaining to me that I didn’t tell her that it hurt and it was all her fault that she made me play three matches against her cause I kept winning and blah blah blah! It’s her fault for going easy on me.

I ignore her rambles and decide to instead treat my knee and resume the therapeutic workouts my chiropractor suggested.

When I could finally stand without much pain, I decide to take a shower start on my homework that I never got to finish. I groan all the way through algebra only to end up wishing I was with Ayumi at tennis practice, even though I probably wouldn’t do anything there anyway.

I chuckle to myself; it feels weird not hating tennis.

I didn’t even notice when the clock struck four and all of a sudden Ayumi walking in the room complaining about how there’s going to be a ranking tournament in two weeks. I thought they already had one for the month, but apparently I was wrong.

“Ugh! VP was like constantly asking where you were and why you didn’t show up at practice.” She turns to me, expecting a reply. I simply shrug. What did she expect me to say, ‘I’m sorry’? VP doesn’t like me; well I don’t like her either.

I frown at her as she sighs. “I told her you didn’t even come to school and I swear she hates you more now, even though it’s pretty much her fault.”

“Yea but she doesn’t know that.” I reply with a slight sigh

“Yea, you're right. But I think she wants you to compete in the ranking, she kept mentioning how it was both second and third years.” My frown grows deeper.

“Yea well, that’s not going to happen”

She sighs, “by the way, where’s Dad, I haven’t seen him since I got back”

“He said he went to visit one of his old friends or something...”

The rest of the day we play a friendly game of tennis in our backyard, though it’s not nearly big enough to hold an actual court. She continues trying to convince me to get back in the game, pun intended.

She reminds me of the times when I used to win every game 6-0. Those days are long behind me, however.

***

The next day I made sure to be on time to tennis practice. I don’t plan to blow out my knee anytime soon. VP immediately approaches me, looking rather shocked. “I see you’re finally on time for once” she smirks.

I turn to leave, but apparently she’s not done talking yet, “I noticed you skipped out on practice yesterday...”

I sigh, “And whose fault is that, I wonder?” I head toward one of the benches near the court Ayumi’s playing on. She’s rallying with a small first year with two long braids. She should really cut those; they’ll only get in her way.

I crash on the bench with a small sigh, dropping my tennis bag that had managed to fish out of a dust filled corner in my closet a month ago. Ayumi turns from her match and grins at me. “Oh? You’re on time today; want to join? You can teach her better than I can.”

I raise an eyebrow, “I highly doubt that, but I’ll see what I can do” the first year looks rather confused but smiles anyway.

I walk to her thinking what to teach her first. I decide to teach her basic tennis form. She’s standing all wrong.

As I’m teaching her the step of a basic topspin serve, I hear a call from the other side of the courts. “Akari, play a game with me, now”

I blink twice, trying to find the source of the challenge. It isn’t hard, VP glaring right at me. “There’s no way you just had perfect serving form. I refuse to believe it.”

I roll my eyes at her dramatics, “refuse all you want, I’m not going to play you” I turn back to the first year, who’s looking more scared than excited to learn. She shakes her head at me, when suddenly her eyes widen. I turn to where she’s looking to find a tennis ball heading straight for my face.

I almost panic before realizing I have a tennis racket in my hand and all of a sudden time seems to slow down. I scan the area; VP is smirking, Ayumi is waiting for me to do something. Finally I notice a small cart full of tennis balls. I’ll aim it there.

With my eyes set on the cart, I send the ball flying faster than I ever had since I resumed the game. It lands in the cart with a thud. The cart tips but doesn’t fall. I’m more than surprised to find that my aim is still as perfect as I remember.

It takes me a minute to realize that everyone is now staring at me. VP is looking more shocked than everyone on the court put together.

“I knew you could play tennis, so play a game with me.” She twirls her racket looking determined.

I sigh and turn to look at Ayumi. She isn’t paying any attention to me whatsoever. “Fine, if it’ll make you leave me alone” I grip my racket tighter. “One game, no tie breakers”

I’m in the middle of twirling my racket when a wave of murmurs runs through the courts; “Look it’s the captain!!” I turn, a bit curious. I haven’t met her, even in the month I’ve been in club.

She smiles at the club members as she inches closer and closer to my current location. I don’t notice when I dropped my racket until I heard the faint clatter of it hitting the asphalt.

She turns to me, and her smile fades. “Akari?!”