With you

I nervously entered her house. I knew that perhaps I shouldn't be doing that without a good reason, but I really wanted to see her... Maybe I can use playing with Elliott as an excuse?

As I look around the living room, she's sitting in the same spot as always, at the edge of the cream-colored sofa, with her laptop and agenda on the coffee table, and a carafe of ice water and some lemon slices in it in the middle of the glass table. 

"Hi!" she said, smiling the same big smile as ever that showed off her white teeth. 

"Hi! Um... I came to play with-"

"Elliott isn't here, he's playing with his auntie and the soon-to-be cousin."

"Oh, um..." my plan failed utterly. Now what. 

"Have a seat," she showed at the armchair on the other side of the glass table. 

"Sure."

"Do you want a glass of cold water?"

"Yes, please," and she got up with a lazy attitude like she hasn't gotten up in ages. Eva returned from the kitchen with a glass and poured some water from the carafe, then she handed it to me. She then sat back on her spot, holding onto one knee, and then I realized she was dressed in a... home/sleep attire? She really wasn't expecting guests, otherwise, she wouldn't have worn short shorts and a green sleeveless top. 

"Tell me the real reason," Eva unexpectedly said and I nearly choked on the water, "why did you come here? I feel like there is something you aren't telling me."

I glanced at her then averted my eyes, feeling the blood of embarrassment flowing rapidly down my cheeks. What were I to tell her? That I just wanted to see her?

"There's no reason..."

"You know, this scene looks familiar. In Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, he comes three times unannounced at her house, the first time just to see her, the second time to confess and to fail, the third time to make things up. Are you sure you don' have anything to tell me?"

I looked at her surprised. Was I that bad?

"Ok, I'll look at the laptop and pretend I'm not listening to you so you can tell me whatever you want."

"Alright," I felt at ease, "how do I say this... The first time we met I was surprised by how... how you could handle so much. You have an adopted baby, was never married, own a farm and several plots of land, a big house and are so generous when it comes to giving money to the missionaries, though you never give money without making sure you know what it is for, for whom and without visiting the actual site and praise God at least once in that church. I admire you so much, every bit of you, I mean, Elliott is so well raised! He was reading a book on the first day I met him?! How cool is that!" I made a pause and realized she was intensely watching me. I gulped and continued, "And I thought that you were invincible, just you and God, changing the world by yourself, a feminist to the extreme. But, on that day when the wolves attacked the farm, I could see in your eyes that you weren't afraid to cry in front of me, you didn't bother asking me for help or saving you from that unseen wolf... And, you see, I realized that day that you might not need or want someone by your side, but you seem to be stopped in your tracks, without moving on. Everyone would like you to start a new business, to adopt another child, to make more trips to the missionary sites, but you seem content with however you are now, but you actually can't move on. Not alone. And I... I want to be by your side; I want to help you move on, to glorify Christ together, to face the wolves together..."

She was crying now. I think it was the first time she thought about it like that. 

"Once you marry me," she tried saying between sobs, "would you be able to handle everything that I own? Would you be able to administrate at least half of my property and to take care of Elliott and another child and to still have Jesus everywhere you go and in whatever you do?"

"I'll prepare myself for that. All I know is that I don't want to let you bear everything alone."

"Good answer," she wiped her tears, "Come here," she showed to the spot next to her and I went there immediately and hugged her. 

"All glory be to Christ."