Prologue

Kendal stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her eyes beaming and grinning from ear-to-ear, she'd dreamed of this day most of her life. No longer a little barefoot, four-eyed, snaggle-tooth, tom-boy running across Grandpa's Louisiana farm, today she looked like one of Mother's hand painted porcelain dolls.

"Kendal! Kendal! Look who I found!" Kasey announced, as she rushed through the bedroom door without knocking

Startled, Kendal frowned. "Kasey, you never knock... ever. Thank God today is my last day being your roomma..."

Kasey ignored her as Kendal let the words coming from her mouth fade in mid-air. "That's what I thought." She walked towards her sister, as Kendal gasped. Standing beside her, Kasey watched the bride-to-be as she fought to hide her obvious emotion.

Kendal could hardly believe her eyes. It had been years since she'd seen her childhood friend of forever. Wringing her hands, she smiled nervously. Chase had always caused her to have butterflies and this was no different.

"Wow, it's been 10 years and this room hasn't changed a bit. I mean, except the one born three minutes later is standing in the middle of the floor in a white gown and the one born three minutes earlier is not. How's that working for ya, Kase?"

"Shut up, Chase! I'm still the only girl who can dunk on you, you know?"

"Yeah, maybe in your dreams. I told you before we graduated you'd better leave that Ecstasy alone."

"Shhhhhhhhh. Shut up! You still talk too much," Kasey mouthed as she hurried out the door.

Kendal stood speechless. The day Chase had left for NYU, on a full basketball scholarship, she'd sat on the porch making a list for her new dormitory. Like everyone else who had graduated from high school and gone on with their lives, she never thought the next time she'd reunite with one of her best buddies they would both be college graduates in pursuit of love and happiness. With the exception of a few grey hairs and a short, scruffy beard Chase had held onto his good looks and athletic frame.

Standing tall at 6'5", his broad shoulders still exhibited the confidence he carried. Able to dominate both on and off the court, Chase had forged his way into the limelight as the number one draft pick of the NBA.

"So, you just gonna stand there staring at me or what? I mean, dang girl, I can't get a last-minute feel or nuthin'?"

"Whatever." Kendal slapped her oldest friend's arm and hugged him, as if she was making up for lost time. Relaxing a little, she slowly asked the question she'd wondered the last decade before sitting on the bed.

"Where have you been all this time? What have you been doing?" Kendal inquired, as she motioned for Chase to sit beside her.

"Just working, trying to make a name for myself."

"Well, apparently it hasn't panned out. No one has heard a word from or about you since you left."

They both laughed. Everyone in the tiny town of Evergreen knew Chase Alexander had been drafted as a Dallas Maverick. No one was even surprised by it. Mavericks, yes. NBA, no.