In A Million Years-Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I sat with Kim at lunch. She was, after all, and no matter how childish she was, my best friend. She overlooked our strange conversation earlier, and acted normally.

If I had to describe Kim in one word, it would be jolly. Maybe too jolly sometimes.

She's annoying, but I love her anyway.

Other than Kim, I was sitting with three other people at the lunch table, and they were pretty much all my friends from elementary. The too-skinny blonde Shay sat in front of me with Amy, who had her short cropped hair dyed blue, next to her. Amy was plump, but next to Shay, who was a total stretch, she looked shorter than ever.

Kim was on my right, while on my left sat Mark, with his maroon colored scarf and tons of gel in his brunette hair. Mark is gay.

These were my friends, all weird in their own way, all very different, all awesome.

As we sat down, Kim hugged them all and said happily. "Hey guys! How were you this summer? How did today go so far? How cool is it that we're in English class together, huh Shay? Mark, I noticed your locker is next to the gym, which is awesome since the football team practices there and maybe you can catch a glimpse! Oh I have the best physics teacher! Isn't Mrs. Greg great, Sophie? Keeps telling all these jokes, and earlier I bumped into her in the hallway and she said that..."

And she went on and on about how Mrs. Greg told her a hilarious story about a woman she met in the supermarket with a huge ass.

"Kim," said Shay at last, and Kim stopped at once. Shay had the most charismatic tone to her voice and can make you do the splits in the middle of the Grand Canyon.

After a bit of silence Amy said in her typical shy, whispery voice, "I like what you did with your hair, Sophie."

I smiled. "Thanks." I said. Then quickly added, "But I prefer Sophia."

Amy nodded. "Sophia."

And then Mark started a series of compliments about my makeover and planning every one of my outfits from the homecoming dance all the way up to my wedding.

Man, I love these guys.

At some point, while half listening to Mark and Shay's heated argument about bed sheets and how it mattered/didn't matter if they match the pillows, I caught Shawn's eye. He was sitting in "The Popular Table", with all the football team and cheerleaders, all wearing the least clothes they could and flirting and giggling, but Shawn was staring at me.

Me.

Well, slightly to the left from me, but that didn't matter.

I remembered the tissue he gave me, safely tucked in my back pocket, then sighed.

I imagined our date, how he would drive me home in his car after it and walk me to the door and pull me close to him, putting his forehead against mine and hugging my waist, my hazel eyes looking into his blue ones, and right before we kiss he'd whisper, "Sophia... Oh Sophia..." His lips almost touching mine... "Sophia... Sophia! Sophia!"

"Sophia!" I came out of my trance and turned to Kim, who was waving her hand in front of my face.

I sighed again.

I could feel Mark's smirk widening behind me. "Fletcher?" He questioned. "Nice choice."

I slapped his hand. "I didn't flirt with him!" I exclaimed.

Amy giggled. "I didn't!" I said persistently.

"Alright!" Mark threw his hands in the air.

I sighed again. "But..."

"But?!" Said all four at once.

"He asked me out." I blurted before I could think of it any farther.

Mark shrieked and Kim grabbed my shoulders and shook me. Amy covered her mouth with her hands while Shay giggled loudly. They were more excited about this than I was.

The rest of the day went as usual, and I spent History class texting Mark about Shawn and what to wear on my date with him.

But it's not like I expected anything unusual.

Well, I certainly didn't expect my brother to die.