Chapter Four | Special

The reflections of the orbs in the mirror shone like bright lights. They wriggled about as if they had life of their own, and it made me wonder if they had thoughts like me. I started calling the light blue specs orbs instead, since they kind of looked that way. When they hit the light, they appeared to change into silver dancing leaves. It was fascinating to watch.

I went back into my first photo, I was just too eager to sit still. I hadn't felt this giddy in a long time, and I think the last time it was over new food.

I was sitting in the old dusty chair, waiting for Bec. He had to be here, he wouldn't let me down . . .

"Cecelia?" He emerged from the other room, looking surprised.

I grinned and ran up to him. "Bec!"

He chuckled when I stopped just before him, and he smiled just as wide. "Hello, I hope I didn't keep you waiting long?"

I shook my head, it had only been a few minutes. The strange orbs floating around kept me occupied. "I came the other day and you weren't here."

He looked surprised by this, his eyes flashing a startling light blue before swimming into neutral colors. His eyes were even more fascinating than the floating orbs! "Ah, you must have came here in person?"

"Well yeah," I spoke in a haughty tone that I'm sure would have earned me a smack from Ms. Betty's ruler.

"Then that is why I was not here."

"Huh?" I muttered brilliantly, trying to grasp what he was saying but it was like my brain wasn't working right.

He turned to look over his shoulder at me, and he was smiling. "Remember what I was talking about last time. Well, I only exist in this realm."

I blinked slowly as I remembered everything we talked about. "The spiritual realm?"

He nodded, leaning against the back of the chair. "We can only meet here, when you go through the picture. Or as I like to call it, the 'still frame,' since it has trapped time within it."

As I gazed at him, a strong feeling arose, one of wonder. I was intrigued by him. I sat on the edge of the table and went over what I wanted to ask him inside my head. Finally, it came out in a nervous jitter that I wasn't used to. "Why can I only meet you here?"

His eyes flashed to mine for a second, and the color was darker than normal. "I do not belong in this world, and that is why the Creator of this world made it to where I reside here instead."

"Creator?" Now I was even more intrigued.

He smiled. "He is the Almighty One, the one who created the universe, in fact. This world is like His jewel, with mankind the apple of His eye. Those who believe in Him refer to Him as 'God.'"

"God?" I sounded the foreign word on my tongue. "There's really someone like that? He created this world?"

With a nod, Bec continued. "From the ground you walk on to the people. He is the holy one, but it seems a great number of humans do not believe that."

"How come?" I pressed.

"Because there is a great evil in the world that misleads humans. It's a heavy deception, designed to take them further away from their true Father."

"But why? What for?"

"This evil has a name: Satan. And he spreads evil that causes those weak and without faith to sin. Sin is when you do wrong, and those that die in sin won't be able to go back to God. It's an eternal separation, and one you want to strive to avoid." Bec was so serious as he talked about this and seemed a lot older than he looked.